St. Edmund's School (Hindhead)

St. Edmund's School (Hindhead)


St Edmund's School is a coeducational nursery, pre-prep and preparatory school originally founded in Hunstanton, Norfolk, England, in 1874, and subsequently moved to Hindhead, Surrey, in 1900, where the school moved into a large country house named Blen Cathra, previously a home of George Bernard Shaw, with grounds of some 35 acres (14 ha).

The school's original buildings in Hunstanton was purchased in 1901 by Howard Cambridge Barber and became the home of Glebe House School.

In 1968 the school had 130 boarders, plus 25 day boys "taken for the first two years". For most of its existence St Edmund's was for boys only. It first admitted girls in 2008 and is now co-educational.

Read more about St. Edmund's School (Hindhead):  Notable Former Pupils, Headmasters

Famous quotes containing the word school:

    The school system, custodian of print culture, has no place for the rugged individual. It is, indeed, the homogenizing hopper into which we toss our integral tots for processing.
    Marshall McLuhan (1911–1980)