Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children (OBHC) has provided hope and homes for children affected by abuse, abandonment, neglect, or poverty for over a century. Founded in 1903 as an orphan's home, the Baptist Homes for Children is a family-style residential care facility with 8 children residing in cottages on four campuses across the state. Public schools and local Southern Baptist churches assist in educational and religious goals. Houseparents provide a family atmosphere and training as well as love, nurturing and redirection.
Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children is the largest provider of private, not-for-profit, residential childcare in the state of Oklahoma. The organization operates solely on private donations and contributions and does not accept any state or federal funding.
Mission Statement: To help children become capable, caring Christian adults by sharing Christ's love and providing hope and homes for Children.
OBHC serves 188 children on four residential care campuses:
- Baptist Children's Home, Oklahoma City
- Boys Ranch Town, Edmond
- Baptist Children's Home, Owasso
- Baptist Home for Girls, Madill
- Adolescent maternity home
- Program for parenting girls
- Program for pregnant or parenting women in Tulsa
Hope Pregnancy Ministries
OBHC offers three Hope Pregnancy Centers; two in Oklahoma City and one in Tulsa.
- The pregnancy centers are staffed by volunteers who are trained to offer support in a non-judgmental manner to those facing an unplanned pregnancy.
- Hope Pregnancy Centers strive to give clients all of the facts they need to make the right choice for their unborn child.
- The organization also manages Pregnancy Resource Network, a large group of cooperating evangelical centers across the state of Oklahoma, and is an affiliate member of Care Net.
Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children is an affiliate corporation of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma.
- OBHC does not charge for its services.
- OBHC does not discriminate on placement based on race, color, national origin, or religious affiliation.
- A toll-free Helpline is available weekdays to assist callers in finding appropriate services for their child.
Famous quotes containing the words children, homes, baptist and/or oklahoma:
“Occasionally, remind children tactfully that the oven is the only self-cleaning appliance.”
—Fred G. Gosman (20th century)
“You know, a dame with a rod is like a guy with a knitting needle.”
—Geoffrey Homes (19021977)
“I am perhaps being a bit facetious but if some of my good Baptist brethren in Georgia had done a little preaching from the pulpit against the K.K.K. in the 20s, I would have a little more genuine American respect for their Christianity!”
—Franklin D. Roosevelt (18821945)
“I know only one person who ever crossed the ocean without feeling it, either spiritually or physically.... he went from Oklahoma to France and back again ... without ever getting off dry land. He remembers several places I remember too, and several French words, but he says firmly, We must of went different ways. I dont rightly recollect no water, ever.”
—M.F.K. Fisher (19081992)