The Lyceum of the Philippines University (Filipino: Pamantasang Liseo ng Pilipinas, abbreviated LPU) is one of the most highly acclaimed schools in the Philippines, an institute of higher education located in Intramuros in the City of Manila. It was founded in 1952 by Dr. José P. Laurel, who became the third and one of the most acclaimed presidents of the Philippines. He named the institution after lykeion, the grove in ancient Athens where Aristotle taught his pupils. LPU is the only university founded by a president of the republic. Its educational vision is founded on principles Dr. José P. Laurel set down. It opened its gates to its first students on July 7, 1952.
Two of its most prominent features are its entry point, the "Hall of Heroes" or mostly known as "Mabini Hall" which exhibits busts of revered Philippine historical figures sculpted by the National Artist Guillermo Tolentino; and, the famous "Lyceum Tower" which serves as Lyceum's trademark and stands witness to the university's history and continuing progress.
The various campuses of Lyceum include the following:
- Lyceum of the Philippines University in Intramuros, Manila (with a separate campus for the College of Law in Makati City);
- Lyceum of the Philippines University, Batangas (Formerly known as Lyceum of Batangas) in Batangas City, Batangas;
- Lyceum of the Philippines - Laguna (Formerly known as Lyceum Institute of Technology) in Calamba City, Laguna;
- Lyceum of the Philippines University - Cavite (The First and Only Resort Campus in the Philippines) in General Trias, Cavite; and,
- Lyceum - St. Cabrini College of Allied Medicine (a joint effort between Lyceum of the Philippines - Laguna and St. Frances Cabrini Medical Center) in Santo Tomas, Batangas.
Many disciplines are taught in the university, yet International relations (diplomacy, international trade) and International Hospitality (hotel and restaurant management, tourism) have consistently remained the university's flagship courses.
It is a member of the Intramuros Consortium which includes the technical school Mapúa Institute of Technology, the Catholic school Colegio de San Juan de Letran, and the city-owned Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (University of the City of Manila).
Other articles related to "lyceum of the philippines university, philippines, philippine":
... Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines Gary David, PBA player Jinggoy Estrada, Philippine Senator Alfredo Gabot, PhilPost Chairman Ernesto Herrera, former Philippine Senator ...
Famous quotes containing the word university:
“The great problem of American life [is] the riddle of authority: the difficulty of finding a way, within a liberal and individualistic social order, of living in harmonious and consecrated submission to something larger than oneself.... A yearning for self-transcendence and submission to authority [is] as deeply rooted as the lure of individual liberation.”
—Wilfred M. McClay, educator, author. The Masterless: Self and Society in Modern America, p. 4, University of North Carolina Press (1994)