|Illinois||Barack Obama||2005–2008||Third sitting Senator elected to the presidency|
|Massachusetts||John Quincy Adams||1803–1808|
|John F. Kennedy||1953–1961||Second sitting Senator elected to the presidency|
|New Hampshire||Franklin Pierce||1837–1842|
|New York||Martin Van Buren||1821–1828|
|Ohio||William Henry Harrison||1825–1828|
|Warren Harding||1915–1921||First sitting Senator elected to the presidency|
|1875||Only former President in the Senate|
|Texas||Lyndon B. Johnson||1949–1961||Senate Minority Leader 1953-1955
Senate Majority Leader 1955-1961
|Virginia||James Monroe||1790–1794||First former Senator to become President|
|John Tyler||1827–1836||Only former President pro tempore to become President|
A number of future Presidents served together while in the Senate:
- Senator Monroe served under Vice President Adams (1790–1794)
- Senator Jackson served under Vice President Jefferson (1797–1798)
- Senator Van Buren served with Senators Jackson (1823–1825), Harrison (1825–1828), and Tyler (1827–1828)
- Senator Buchanan also served with Senator Tyler (1834–1836) and later served with Senator Pierce (1837–1842). Both Buchanan and Tyler served under Vice President Martin Van Buren (1833–1837), while Pierce later served under Vice President Tyler (1841).
- Senator Harrison briefly served under Vice President Arthur (1881).
- Senator Johnson served with both Senators Nixon (1951–1953) and Kennedy (1953–1961). Johnson and Kennedy both served under Vice President Nixon (1953–1961).
Read more about this topic: List Of Presidents Of The United States By Other Offices Held, Federal Government, Legislative Branch
Other articles related to "senators":
... Members of the Dewan Negara are referred to as "Senators" and "Ahli Dewan Negara" (literally "member of the Dewan Negara") in Malay ... The term of office is 3 years and senators may only be re-appointed once, consecutively or non-consecutively ... Each of the 13 state legislative assemblies chooses two senators ...
... and the Senate which has 31 members appointed by the President 16 Government Senators appointed on the advice of the Prime Minister, 6 Opposition Senators appointed on the advice of the Leader of ...
... the Broad Front (left-wing coalition) emerged the winner, electing 16 senators and 50 deputies, while the National Party elected 9 senators and 30 deputies, the Colorado Party ...
... Nine Senators were or became peers of the realm at the time of their membership of the Senate ... At least another 3 Senators subsequently became members of the House of Lords by different routes ...
Famous quotes containing the word senators:
“Michael Corleone: My father is no different than any powerful man. Any man whos responsible for other people. Like a senator or a president.
Kaye: Do you know how naive you sound?
Michael Corleone: Why?
Kaye: Senators and presidents dont have men killed.”
—Mario Puzo (b. 1920)
“Gold? Yellow, glittering, precious gold?
This yellow slave
Will knit and break religions, bless th accursed,
Make the hoar leprosy adored, place thieves,
And give them title, knee and approbation
With senators on the bench.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“We shall have to begin all over again. [Taft hoped that] the Senators might change their minds, or that the people might change the Senate; instead of which they changed me.”
—William Howard Taft (18571930)