Leeds Bridge is a historic river crossing in Leeds, England. The present cast iron road bridge dates from 1730. It is Grade II listed.
The medieval town of Leeds centred on 13th century burgess building plots either side of a wide road from the river crossing called Bridge Gate, now Briggate. A wool cloth market operated at Leeds Bridge, becoming the centre of wool trade for the West Riding of Yorkshire in the late 17th century.
A medieval bridge was built at the site of a ferry across the River Aire. It was widened in 1730 and 1760. The bridge was rebuilt in 1870-73 by W. H. Barlow to a design by T. Dyne Steel. The iron was cast by John Butler of Stanningley. The cast iron balustrade is of rings and flowers. The east side bears the arms of the Corporation of Leeds (crowned owls and fleece). The western side has the names of civic dignitaries on a plaque.
Leeds Bridge marks the western terminus of the Aire and Calder Navigation which opened in 1700 creating a vital goods transportation infrastructure.
Other articles related to "leeds, leeds bridge, bridge":
... is one of the oldest streets in the city of Leeds and was founded in 1207 when the road began on the north side of the Leeds Bridge over the River Aire ... The name 'Briggate' derives from 'the road to the bridge' ... Civil War a pitched battle was fought for the control of Leeds along the length of Briggate ...
... his single-lens type camera in a workshop at 160 Woodhouse Lane, Leeds ... Grange (his wife's family home, in Roundhay), another at Leeds Bridge and an Accordion Player ... on to the NMPFT website as public resources ("Roundhay" "Leeds") ...
... In 1888 Louis Le Prince made a pioneering moving picture recording of traffic on Leeds Bridge from an upstairs window of No 19 Bridge End, then Hicks the Ironmongers ...
Famous quotes containing the word bridge:
“I see four nuns
who sit like a bridge club,
their faces poked out
from under their habits,”
—Anne Sexton (19281974)