Hoshi (星?) is a Japanese word which means star. It is also a surname. Hoshi (干し or 乾し?) is an unrelated word meaning "dried." Hoshi (保志?) is a Japanese surname with a similar pronunciation.
Hōshi (法師?) is unrelated to the preceding words, and pronounced differently. It is a technical term in Buddhism (see below). Many additional words in Japanese have the same pronunciation as it.
People with the surname Hoshi:
- Hamuko Hoshi (星), Japanese professional wrestler
- Sumo yokozuna Hokutoumi Nobuyoshi, born Hoshi (保志) Nobuyoshi
- Shinichi Hoshi (星), Japanese novelist and science-fiction writer
- Sōichirō Hoshi (保志), Japanese voice actor
- Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi), fictional superheroine in DC Comics
- Hoshi Sato, character in the fictional Star Trek universe and communications officer aboard the starship Enterprise (NX-01)
- Ryu Hoshi, video game character created by Capcom
- Lieutenant Hoshi, a character of Battlestar Galactica
In manga and anime:
- Hoshi no Kābi, anime series based on Nintendo's Kirby franchise
- Hoshi no Koe, half hour Japanese anime OAV conceived, directed, and animated by one man
- La Seine no Hoshi, 1975 anime series based on the movie La Tulipe noire
- Hoshi, a character from Arakawa Under the Bridge
- Hōshi (法師), in Zen Buddhism, a Dharma Holder, one who has completed kōan study and is permitted to hold daisan (dokusan)
- Hoshi (星), intersection traditionally marked with a small dot on the board in the game of Go
- Hoshi University, founded by Hajime Hoshi (星), father of Shinichi Hoshi
- Biwa hōshi (法師), travelling performers in the era of Japanese history preceding the Meiji period
- Hoshi Ryokan
Other articles related to "hoshi":
... was as follows Character (Japanese) Actor (Japanese) Izumi Hoshi 星 泉 Tomoyo Harada 原田 知世 Makoto Sakuma 佐久間 真 Takashi Shikauchi 鹿内 孝 Dabo Ken (Ke ...
... Hiroyuki Hoshi (星 洋行, Hoshi Hiroyuki?) Sendo's Kouhai and equally as brash, though he is more polite towards Sendo ... Prior to boxing, Hoshi practiced Karate and would challenge other martial arts schools ... Sendo was the first man to stay standing from Hoshi's trademark move, the Ichigeki, a basic power punch from Karate thrown from the side of your body ...
... Sōichirō Hoshi (保志 総一朗, Hoshi Sōichirō?, born May 30, 1972 in Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima, Japan) is a Japanese voice actor affiliated with Arts Vision ... For his work Hoshi has been awarded the voice acting award in the Anime Grand Prix in both 2005 and 2006 ... Additionally, in the 2007 Seiyu Awards, Hoshi was a nominee in the category "Best Actors in supporting roles" for his portrayal as Kira Yamato in ...
... Shizuko Hoshi is an American actress and theatre director living in Southern California ... In 1995, Hoshi co-directed the English language premiere of the Japanese comedy The Fall Guy off-Broadway in New York City ...