Fort McPherson

Fort McPherson was a U.S. Army military base located in East Point, Georgia, on the southwest edge of the City of Atlanta, Ga. It was the headquarters for the U.S. Army Installation Management Command, Southeast Region; the U.S. Army Forces Command; the U.S. Army Reserve Command; the U.S. Army Central Command.

Named after Major General James Birdseye McPherson, this fort was founded by the U.S. Army in September 1885. However, this site, had been in use by military units since 1835, and it was used as a Confederate Army base during the American Civil War. During the Reconstruction Era, it was named the "McPherson Barracks", and it served as a post for the Federal troops who were occupying Atlanta. With the end of Reconstruction, the McPherson Barracks was closed and sold off in 1881, though the site continued to be occupied during the summers by U.S. troops stationed in Florida. In 1885, the land was again purchased by the Army at which to station ten army companies.

During World War I, Fort McPherson was used as a camp for Imperial German Navy prisoners of war.

During the General Textile Workers Strike in 1934, this fort was used as a detention center to hold picketers who had been arrested while striking at a cotton mill in Newnan, Georgia.

Fort McPherson’s nearest Army neighbor, and its sub-post, is Fort Gillem, which is located in Forest Park, Georgia, not too far away. Fort Gillem was a logistical support base, housing some Army, Department of Defense, and other government agencies. Those units include the First Army, the U.S. Army and Air Force Exchange Distribution Center, the Military Entrance Processing Station, and the U.S. Army Second Recruiting Brigade. Fort Gillem also hosts the only crime lab of the U.S. Army. Fort McPherson and Fort Gillem shared most common services. Fort Gillem is now a military enclave following Fort McPherson's closing due to the 2005 BRAC commission.

In 2007, there were 2,453 active duty soldiers and 3,784 civilian employees at both forts, with a total active duty and civilian employee payroll of $529,874,972.

With only 102 family quarters and 272 single soldier billets at Fort McPherson, and 10 family quarters at Fort Gillem, the active duty military and Department of the Army civilian employees lived in civilian housing in the surrounding Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Fayette, and Henry Counties.

Other important users of the fort facilities were the 98,700 or more Atlanta area military and naval retirees and their family members. These residents live mostly in Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Clayton, Fayette, Gwinnett, and Henry counties.

For urban mass transit, Ft. McPherson was mostly served by the Lakewood/Fort McPherson MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) station.

Read more about Fort McPherson:  Base Realignment and Closure

Other articles related to "fort mcpherson, fort, mcpherson":

History of Fort McPherson - Historic Buildings - Other Structures
... By June 1919, 1,346 prisoners were interned at Fort McPherson ... The oldest structure still in use at Fort McPherson is located on Miller Drive ...
History Of The Yukon - Nineteenth Century
... The northern route started in Fort McPherson, Northwest Territories along the Mackenzie River, crossed the mountains into the Bell and Porcupine Rivers to the ... The southern route started at Fort Liard, Northwest Territories, then westward along the Liard River to Frances Lake and then along the Pelly River to its juncture with Yukon River ... After establishing Fort McPherson, Northwest Territories, John Bell crossed the mountains into Yukon River watershed in 1845, and went down the Rat River (today the Bell River) to its confluence with the ...
Lakewood / Fort Mc Pherson (MARTA Station)
... Lakewood / Fort McPherson is an at-grade Rail station on the Red and Gold lines of the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) rail system ... This station mainly serves Lakewood, and the neighborhoods around Fort McPherson Military Base ... provides access to the Historic and now defunct Fort McPherson, and Lakewood ...
Fort Mc Pherson, Northwest Territories
... Fort McPherson (Gwich’in language Teet'lit Zheh at the head of the waters) is a hamlet located in the Inuvik Region of the Northwest Territories, Canada ... Fort McPherson is accessible by road all year from Dawson City and Whitehorse, Yukon, with the exception of spring break-up and fall freeze-up on the Peel River ... site of a Hudson's Bay Company post the community was named for "Murdoch McPherson" ...
List Of Airports In The Northwest Territories - Defunct Airports
64.385 -115.12472 (Colomac Airport) Fort McPherson Fort McPherson Water Aerodrome CEU7 67°27′00″N 134°53′00″W / 67.45°N 134.8833333°W / 67.45 -134.8833333 (Fort McPherson Water ...

Famous quotes containing the word fort:

    You do not quite get what I mean. Herr Frankenstein was interested only in human life. First to destroy it, then recreate it. There you have his mad dream.
    —Garrett Fort (1900–1945)