Exchange was originally named Millburn by the owner of the mill there. When the post office was established in 1906 the first postmaster, Mrs. Samantha Duffield, suggested the current name because the stores, the mill, and the blacksmith shop changed owners so often.
Read more about this topic: Exchange, West Virginia
Other articles related to "toponomy":
... A 19th Century antiquarian speculated that "St Ann's Well — in its primary form means simply "the well dedicated to the sun"". ...