Adjustment (from late Latin ad-juxtare, derived from juxta, near, but early confounded with a supposed derivation from Justus, right) means regulating, adapting or settling in a variety of contexts:
- Adjustment (law) has several meanings; many relate to insurance, contracts, or the resolution of disputes
- In engineering, mathematics, and geodesy, the optimal parameter estimation of a mathematical model so as to best fit a data set. The most important method is the least squares adjustment, found by Carl Friedrich Gauss.
- In metrology, the set of operations carried out on an instrument in order that it provides given indications corresponding to given values of the measurand.
- In psychology, the behavioural process of balancing conflicting needs, or needs against obstacles in the environment. Humans and animals regularly do this, for example, when they are stimulated by their physiological state to seek food, they eat (if possible) to reduce their hunger and thus adjust to the hunger stimulus. Adjustment disorder occurs when there is an inability to make a normal adjustment to some need or stress in the environment.
- In statistics, it is the compensation for confounding variables
Other articles related to "adjustment":
1969 SUSPA develops a height adjustment system and a positioning system for backrests of office chairs.1973–1978 SUSPA expands in Europe, Asia and America SUSPA develops silicone-damped impact absorbers for. 1991 SUSPA develops height adjustment systems for tables and work surfaces ... The mass production of spoiler adjustment systems begins in 1999 and SUSPA becomes a system supplier for the automotive industry ...
... Adjustment (from late Latin ad-juxtare, derived from juxta, near, but early confounded with a supposed derivation from Justus, right) means regulating ... The most important method is the least squares adjustment, found by Carl Friedrich Gauss ... Adjustment disorder occurs when there is an inability to make a normal adjustment to some need or stress in the environment ...
... The Benelli Kite Young features micrometric rear sight adjustment with four settings 1 click = 1 mm windage (left/right adjustment) at 10 metres. 1 click = 2 mm elevation (up/down adjustment) at 10 metres ...
... Color Adjustment is a 1992 documentary film that traces the evolution of the black image in television from the explicitly racist 1948 to more subtle 1988 ... Color Adjustment was met with high critical praise, receiving a Peabody Award and being nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance ...
... Given a set of images depicting a number of 3D points from different viewpoints, bundle adjustment can be defined as the problem of simultaneously refining the 3D ... Bundle adjustment is almost always used as the last step of every feature-based 3D reconstruction algorithm ... to the observed image features If the image error is zero-mean Gaussian, then bundle adjustment is the Maximum Likelihood Estimator ...
Famous quotes containing the word adjustment:
“The terror of the atom age is not the violence of the new power but the speed of mans adjustment to itthe speed of his acceptance.”
—E.B. (Elwyn Brooks)
“The adjustment of qualities is so perfect between men and women, and each is so necessary to the other, that the idea of inferiority is absurd.”
—Jennie June Croly 18291901, U.S. founder of the womans club movement, journalist, author, editor. Demorests Illustrated Monthly and Mirror of Fashions, p. 204 (August 1866)
“In the adjustment of the new order of things, we women demand an equal voice; we shall accept nothing less.”
—Carrie Chapman Catt (18591947)