- Joe Andrew, Professor of Russian Literature at Keele University
- Dame Kay Davies, FRS, Human Geneticist.
- Richard Ellis, CBE, FRS, extragalactic astronomer, Steele Professor at Caltech and former Director, Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge
- Artur Ekert, one of the pioneers of quantum cryptography, and winner of the Maxwell and Hughes medals, and the Descartes Prize
- Jonathan Foster, leading academic in cognitive neuroscience, consultant neuropsychologist, writer, broadcaster
- Alison Gopnik, Professor of Psychology, Affiliate Professor of Philosophy, University of California at Berkeley
- Henry Hardy, author and editor, publisher of Isaiah Berlin's papers
- Nigel Hitchin, FRS, British mathematician, winner of the Sylvester Medal
- Josef W. Meri, leading specialist in Islam in the pre-modern period, Islamic cultural and social history
- Michele Mosca, quantum scientist known for his work on quantum algorithms and NMR quantum computation
- Iain Pears, popular British novelist, art historian
Other articles related to "academics, academic":
... contexts, especially in journalism, ‘intellectual’ generally denotes academics of the humanities — especially philosophy — who speak about important social and political matters by ... élite, although the North American usage of ‘intellectual’ includes them to the ‘academics’ ... in, open, contemporary public debate separates intellectuals from academics by venturing from academic specialism to address the public, the academic becomes a public intellectual ...
... have become notable in their fields, both academic, and in the wider world ... Cambridge academics have also won 8 Fields Medals and 2 Abel Prizes (since the award was first distributed in 2003) ...
... For graduate-level study, UC Merced Graduate Division offers programs in 11 emphases applied mathematics, biological engineering and small-scale technologies, cognitive and information sciences, electrical engineering and computer science, environmental systems, mechanical engineering and applied mechanics, physics and chemistry, psychology, quantitative and systems biology, social and cognitive sciences, and world cultures ... The various programs within the Graduate Division have produced PhDs and Masters-level graduates ...
Famous quotes containing the word academics:
“Our first line of defense in raising children with values is modeling good behavior ourselves. This is critical. How will our kids learn tolerance for others if our hearts are filled with hate? Learn compassion if we are indifferent? Perceive academics as important if soccer practice is a higher priority than homework?”
—Fred G. Gosman (20th century)
“Almost all scholarly research carries practical and political implications. Better that we should spell these out ourselves than leave that task to people with a vested interest in stressing only some of the implications and falsifying others. The idea that academics should remain above the fray only gives ideologues license to misuse our work.”
—Stephanie Coontz (b. 1944)