Some articles on support:
... DioGuardi, praised Rohrabacher for his support to the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA), saying "He was the first member of Congress to insist that the United States ...
... Its primary role is in support of contingency operations and vanguard brigades requiring tactical helicopter resources ... UN and NATO peacekeeping operations, land force training, and support to other government departments ... For example, 408 Squadron's eight Griffons were assigned to support the Canadian contingent in the Balkans in 1999 ...
... In April 1999, the 43 AES deployed to Tirana, Albania in support of Operation Noble Anvil ... As part of Task Force Hawk, AES personnel provided support to Army V Corps. 2003 members of the 43 AES have been deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom ...
... Provide direct support of the 2nd Marine Division in time of conflict ... That support may come in the traditional fashion of artillery support to maneuver forces, or by providing batteries to serve as provisional rifle companies ...
... Evacuation Squadron 445th Airlift Control Flight 445th Operations Support Squadron 445th Maintenance Group 445th Mission Support Group Along with separate support units that report ...
More definitions of "support":
- (noun): Any device that bears the weight of another thing.
Example: "There was no place to attach supports for a shelf"
- (noun): Supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation.
Example: "The statue stood on a marble support"
- (noun): Something providing immaterial support or assistance to a person or cause or interest.
Example: "The policy found little public support"; "his faith was all the support he needed"; "the team enjoyed the support of their fans"
- (verb): Support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm.
Synonyms: corroborate, underpin, bear out
- (verb): Play a subordinate role to (another performer).
Example: "Olivier supported Gielgud beautifully in the second act"
- (noun): The activity of providing for or maintaining by supplying with money or necessities.
Example: "His support kept the family together"; "they gave him emotional support during difficult times"
- (noun): A military operation (often involving new supplies of men and materiel) to strengthen a military force or aid in the performance of its mission.
Example: "They called for artillery support"
Synonyms: reinforcement, reenforcement
- (verb): Put up with something or somebody unpleasant.
Synonyms: digest, endure, stick out, stomach, bear, stand, tolerate, brook, abide, suffer, put up
- (verb): Adopt as a belief.
- (verb): Give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to.
Synonyms: back up
- (noun): Documentary validation.
Example: "The strongest support for this this view is the work of Jones"
- (noun): The act of bearing the weight of or strengthening.
Example: "He leaned against the wall for support"
- (noun): The financial means whereby one lives.
Example: "He applied to the state for support"
Synonyms: keep, livelihood, living, bread and butter, sustenance
- (noun): Aiding the cause or policy or interests of.
Example: "The president no longer had the support of his own party"; "they developed a scheme of mutual support"
- (verb): Support materially or financially.
Example: "He does not support his natural children"; "The scholarship supported me when I was in college"
- (verb): Be a regular customer or client of.
Synonyms: patronize, patronise, patronage, keep going
- (noun): A subordinate musical part; provides background for more important parts.
Synonyms: accompaniment, musical accompaniment, backup
- (noun): Financial resources provided to make some project possible.
Example: "The foundation provided support for the experiment"
Synonyms: financial support, funding, backing, financial backing
- (verb): Establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts.
Synonyms: confirm, corroborate, sustain, substantiate, affirm
Famous quotes containing the word support:
“I make this direct statement to the American people that there is far less chance of the United States getting into war, if we do all we can now to support the nations defending themselves against attack by the Axis than if we acquiesce in their defeat, submit tamely to an Axis victory, and wait our turn to be the object of attack in another war later on.”
—Franklin D. Roosevelt (18821945)
“... the outcome of the Clarence Thomas hearings and his subsequent appointment to the Supreme Court shows how misguided, narrow notions of racial solidarity that suppress dissent and critique can lead black folks to support individuals who will not protect their rights.”
—bell hooks (b. c. 1955)
“Any relation to the land, the habit of tilling it, or mining it, or even hunting on it, generates the feeling of patriotism. He who keeps shop on it, or he who merely uses it as a support to his desk and ledger, or to his manufactory, values it less.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)