More definitions of "ordinary":
- (noun): An early bicycle with a very large front wheel and small back wheel.
Synonyms: ordinary bicycle
- (adj): Lacking special distinction, rank, or status; commonly encountered.
Example: "The ordinary (or common) man in the street"
- (noun): A clergyman appointed to prepare condemned prisoners for death.
- (noun): (heraldry) any of several conventional figures used on shields.
- (adj): Not exceptional in any way especially in quality or ability or size or degree.
Example: "Ordinary everyday objects"; "ordinary decency"; "an ordinary day"; "an ordinary wine"
- (noun): The expected or commonplace condition or situation.
Example: "Not out of the ordinary"
Famous quotes containing the word ordinary:
“Certainly, then, ordinary language is not the last word: in
principle it can everywhere be supplemented and improved upon, and superseded. Only remember, it is the first word.”
—John Austin (19111960)
“In correct theology, the Virgin ought not to be represented in bed, for she could not suffer like ordinary women, but her palace at Chartres is not much troubled by theology, and to her, as empress-mother, the pain of child-birth was a pleasure which she wanted her people to share.”
—Henry Brooks Adams (18381918)
“For ordinary people, food is heaven.”