More definitions of "dark":
- (adj): Not giving performances; closed.
Example: "The theater is dark on Mondays"
- (noun): The time after sunset and before sunrise while it is dark outside.
Synonyms: night, nighttime
- (adj): Secret.
Example: "Keep it dark"; "the dark mysteries of Africa and the fabled wonders of the East"
- (adj): Having skin rich in melanin pigments.
Example: "The dark races"; "dark-skinned peoples"
Synonyms: colored, coloured, dark-skinned
- (adj): Brunet (used of hair or skin or eyes).
Example: "Dark eyes"
- (noun): Absence of light or illumination.
- (adj): Devoid or partially devoid of light or brightness; shadowed or black or somber-colored.
Example: "Sitting in a dark corner"; "a dark day"; "dark shadows"; "the theater is dark on Mondays"; "dark as the inside of a black cat"
- (noun): An unenlightened state.
Example: "He was in the dark concerning their intentions"
- (adj): Marked by difficulty of style or expression.
Example: "Much that was dark is now quite clear to me"
- (adj): Causing dejection.
Example: "The dark days of the war"; "a dark gloomy day"
Synonyms: blue, depressing, disconsolate, dismal, dispiriting, gloomy, grim
- (adj): Lacking enlightenment or knowledge or culture.
Example: "The dark ages"; "a dark age in the history of education"
- (adj): Stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable.
Example: "Darth Vader of the dark side"; "a dark purpose"; "dark undercurrents of ethnic hostility"
Synonyms: black, sinister
Famous quotes containing the word dark:
“Film as dream, film as music. No art passes our conscience in the way film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.”
—Ingmar Bergman (b. 1918)
Now let the night be dark for all of me.
Let the night be too dark for me to see
Into the future. Let what will be, be.”
—Robert Frost (18741963)
“Through the dark cold and the empty desolation,
The wave cry, the wind cry, the vast waters
Of the petrel and the porpoise. In my end is my beginning.”
—T.S. (Thomas Stearns)