- Bourne Woods 6 miles (9.7 km) is 500 acres (2 km²) of woodland of primeval origin, though heavily exploited as a valuable resource for hundreds of years and largely replanted with conifers in the years around 1930. Nonetheless, much of the original flora remains and is now being nurtured by the removal of the conifers which are reaching commercial maturity. Features such as a sculpture trail and bike rides had already been introduced in recent decades. Bourne Woods form part of the 19-mile Bourne Cycle Trail.
- Baldock's Mill, the Heritage Centre, in South Street, Bourne, is open on weekend and public holiday afternoons and includes exhibits about local characters such as Hereward the Wake. It also features aspects of the town's past connections with motor racing, haute couture, the railway, agriculture and so on.
- Baston Fen nature reserve the southern banks of the River Glen to the west of Tongue End, are a nature reserve maintained by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust. Maintained as permanent pasture, it is flooded in winter to attract large numbers of wildfowl. There is an area of Willow Carr, flooded in winter, whose willows, osiers and alders provide nesting sites for birds, such as tits, finches and warblers.
- Thurlby Slipe nature reserve A similar band of wetland maintained by the trust on the northern bank of the Glen, famous for the variety of birds and butterflies.
- The Pinchbeck Engine includes a museum of land drainage, which is relevant to fen communities like Twenty and nearby Guthram Gowt.
- Ayscoughfee Hall in nearby Spalding contains a fine local museum, with details of the landscape before and after drainage, and with many artifacts showing what life was like in the fens in the past.
Read more about this topic: Twenty, Lincolnshire
Other articles related to "nearby attractions, nearby":
... Other nearby sites of interest include the B O Railroad Museum, the Lithuanian Hall, Carroll Park, the Mount Clare Museum, the Babe Ruth Museum, the Irish Shrine and Railroad Workers ...
... Tensas National Wildlife Refuge, located off Interstate 20 via U.S ... Highway 65, is a 57,000-acre (230 km2) refuge of bottomland forest with hunting, fishing, hiking, wildlife-viewing, canoeing, interpreted trails, a boardwalk and educational programs ...
Famous quotes containing the words attractions and/or nearby:
“Fantasy love is much better than reality love. Never doing it is very exciting. The most exciting attractions are between two opposites that never meet.”
—Andy Warhol (19281987)
“Well designed, fully functional infant. Provides someone to live for as well as another mouth to feed. Produces cooing, gurgling and other adorable sounds. May cause similar behavior in nearby adults. Cries when hungry, sleepy or just because. Hand Wash with warm water and mild soap, then pat dry with soft cloth and talc. Internal mechanisms are self-cleaning... Two Genders: Male. Female. Five Colors: White. Black. Yellow. Red. Camouflage.”
—Alfred Gingold, U.S. humorist. Items From Our Catalogue, Baby, Avon Books (1982)