- Breaking-in: some shoes are made of hard but deformable material. After a person wears them multiple times, the material reforms to fit the wearer's feet. The person is said to have broken in the shoes.
- Polishing: for protection, water resistance (to some extent) and appearance, especially for leather shoes and boots.
- Heel replacement: heels periodically wear out. Not all shoes are designed to enable this.
- Sanitization: the inside of shoes can be sanitized with germicidal shoe trees or other cleansing methods to prevent the growth of microorganisms such as odor-causing bacteria or fungi.
- Sole replacement: soles can also wear out. Not all shoes can have their soles replaced.
- Shoelace replacement: shoelaces can sometimes be damaged or destroyed necessitating the replacement of the laces.
- When unfit for use, shoes can be treated as trash or municipal solid waste and disposed of. The exception can be with most athletic sneakers which can be recycled and turned into other raw materials. See Nike Grind as an example.
A person who makes or repairs shoes in a shop is called a cobbler.
Read more about this topic: Shoe
Other articles related to "maintenance, maintenances":
... Air Tahiti aircraft maintenance is performed at the Technical Center of the company ... The maintenance schedule is based on a basis cycle of 400 hours for ATR ... Thus, in 2009, Air Tahiti has ensured for Pacific Sun (subsidiary of Air Pacific), majors maintenances operations for their ATR ...
... Methadone maintenance is the use of methadone, a synthetic, habit forming drug used as a substitute, administered over a prolonged period of time (can be indefinite), as treatment for someone ... "Methadone maintenance makes possible a first step toward social rehabilitation ... Methadone maintenance can also be used for those that suffer with severe pain problems that are resistant to other drugs ...
... The approved maintenance program serves to maintain the aircraft airworthiness ... The maintenance may be light or heavy (such as overhauls) as dictated by the schedules and tasks in the aircraft's maintenance program ...
... Curtain walls and perimeter sealants require maintenance to maximize service life ... Exposed glazing seals and gaskets require inspection and maintenance to minimize water penetration, and to limit exposure of frame seals and insulating glass seals to wetting ...
Famous quotes containing the word maintenance:
“War is in truth a disease in which the juices that serve health and maintenance are used for the sole purpose of nourishing something foreign, something at odds with nature.”
—Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (17491832)
“... in the fierce competition of modern society the only class left in the country possessing leisure is that of women supported in easy circumstances by husband or father, and it is to this class we must look for the maintenance of cultivated and refined tastes, for that value and pursuit of knowledge and of art for their own sakes which can alone save society from degenerating into a huge machine for making money, and gratifying the love of sensual luxury.”
—Mrs. H. O. Ward (18241899)
“However patriarchal the world, at home the child knows that his mother is the source of all power. The hand that rocks the cradle rules his world. . . . The son never forgets that he owes his life to his mother, not just the creation of it but the maintenance of it, and that he owes her a debt he cannot conceivably repay, but which she may call in at any time.”
—Frank Pittman (20th century)