Sheila (alternatively spelled Shelagh and Sheelagh) is a common given name for a female, derived from the Gaelic name Síle/Sìle, which is believed to be a Gaelic form of Cecilia. Like "Cecil" or "Cecilia", the name means "blind", from the Latin word caecus. There is also an etymologically-unrelated Indian name (alternatively spelled "Sheela"), which is rooted in the Sanskrit word शील (Sheela), meaning "character" or "good conduct" and is a common name across the country.
Sheila is also a colloquial term for a girl or woman in Australia.
Sheila may also refer to:
- Sheila (singer) (born 1945), French singer
- Sheila Bair, (born 1954), Chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Sheila Chandra (born 1965), English pop singer
- Sheila Copps (born 1952), Canadian politician, Deputy Prime Minister of Canada from 1993 to 1997
- Sheila Dikshit (born 1938), Chief Minister of Delhi, India
- Sheila E. (born 1957), American singer
- Sheila Fearn (born 1940), English actress
- Sheila Florance (1916–1991), Australian actress
- Sheila Fougere, Canadian politician
- Sheila Gordon (born 1927), South African novelist
- Sheila Hancock (born 1933), English actress and author
- Sheila Hoskin (born 1936), English track and field athlete
- Sheila Steafel (born 1935), South African-born British actress
- Sheila Scribner (born 1984), American singer
- Sheila Taormina (born 1969), American athlete
- Sheila White (actress), (born 1950), English actress
- Sheila (Spyro character), a kangaroo
- The tank in Red vs. Blue; see List of characters in Red vs. Blue
- A character in Army of Darkness
- A character from the Dungeons & Dragons (TV series)
- Sheila Broflovski, a character from the animated series South Park
- Sheila Carter, a character from The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful
- Sheila Corkhill, a character from the defunct British soap opera Brookside
- Sheila Franklin, a character and a song in the musical Hair
- Sheila Futterman, a character in Gremlins
- Sheila Gallagher (Shameless), a character from the British television series Shameless
- Sheila Grant, a character in the British soap opera Brookside
- Sheila Tubman, a character in Judy Blume's book series Fudge
- The Sheilas, a girl group
- "Sheila" (song), a 1962 single by Tommy Roe
- "Oh Sheila", a 1985 song by Ready for the World
- "To Sheila", a 1998 song by The Smashing Pumpkins
- "Sheila (Jamie T song)", a 2006 song by Jamie T
- "Sheila Take a Bow", a 1987 song by The Smiths
- Sheila na gig, a figure displaying her open vulva in Medieval stone carvings
- Sheilas' Wheels, a UK car insurance company
- ST Sheila, a tugboat
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|
Other articles related to "sheila":
... In 2001, Sheila created the message board, Word On The Street a celebrity gossip site ... In 2005, Sheila was profiled on Lifetime TV in their celebration of "Real Women, Real Lives".citation required Over the course of the magazine Sheila interviewed over 30 singers, rappers and musicians.citation ...
... Sheila Browne is an American-Irish violist, recording artist, and professor at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and New York University ... During the summer of 2009 Sheila became the first viola professor ever to teach in Kurdistan for the National Youth Orchestra of Iraq ... Sheila Browne studied with Karen Tuttle at the Juilliard School, where Ms ...
... The Sheila McKechnie Foundation (SMK) is a charity based in the United Kingdom ... The charity was established following the death of Sheila McKechnie, herself an influential and well-established campaigner ...
... Sheila Wheeler Coronation Street character Portrayed by Janice Connolly First appearance 28 September 2009 Last appearance 9 October 2009 Sheila Wheeler first appeared when ...