- Note: the dates of abolishion are from the moment the kingdoms lost their sovereignty; sometimes the kingship were still retained under colonial rule
- Marquesas Islands: Abolished (Sovereignty in 1842)
- Taiohae (Nuku Hiva): Abolished (1901)
- Tahuata: Abolished (1889)
- Kingdom of Tahiti: Abolished (1880)
- Mangareva: Abolished (1881)
- Rapa Iti: Abolished (1881)
- Kingdom of Rapa Nui: Abolished (1888)
- Bora Bora: Abolished (1895)
- Raiatea: Abolished (1888)
- Kingdom of Rarotonga: Abolished (1893)
- Kingdom of Hawaii: Abolished (1893)
- Huahine: Abolished (1895)
- Niuē-Fekai: Abolished (1900)
- Rurutu: Abolished (1900)
- Rimatara: Abolished (1901)
- Monarchy of Fiji: Abolished (1874 native.)
- Samoa: Status change (2007)
Read more about this topic: Monarchies In Oceania
Other articles related to "former monarchies, monarchies":
... in turn, replaced by either republican states or locally founded monarchies, ultimately overtaking the entire American holdings of some European monarchs those ... Certain of the locally established monarchies were themselves also overthrown through revolution, leaving five current pretenders to American thrones ...
... world were controlled by monarchs, but by 1999 there existed only a few outside the eight monarchies of the Arab world ... Herb argues that the these Arab monarchies have persevered not because of oil money rentierism or the lack of the a middle class, but because of their dynastic monarchy ...
... There are 13 monarchies in the Americas, that is self-governing states and territories in North and South America where supreme power resides with an ... Ten of these monarchies are independent states, and equally share Elizabeth II– who resides primarily in the United Kingdom– as their respective sovereign, making them part of a global grouping known as ... As such, none of the monarchies in the Americas has a resident monarch ...
... Coronations in Oceania Monarchism Monarchies in the Americas Monarchies in Europe Monarchies in Africa Monarchies in Asia Māori King Movement (the ...
Famous quotes containing the word monarchies:
“The descendants of Holy Roman Empire monarchies became feeble-minded in the twentieth century, and after World War I had been done in by the democracies; some were kept on to entertain the tourists, like the one they have in England.”
—Ishmael Reed (b. 1938)
“If our vaunted rule of the people does not breed nobler men and women than monarchies have doneit must and will inevitably give place to something better.”
—Anna Julia Cooper (18591964)