Lyell is a surname of Scotland traced to Radulphus de Insula, 11th-century Lord of Duchal. "De insula" was subsequently translated into the Old French "de l'isle" and developed into a number of variants ( Lyell; Lisle; Lyle; see below). John Lyell in 1706 emigrated to Virginia and is the progenitor of the American Lyells.
"Lyell" may refer to:
- Charles Lyell (botanist) (1767–1849), Scottish botanist
- Charles Lyell, 1st Baronet (1797–1875), Scottish lawyer, geologist, and populariser of uniformitarianism, son of the botanist
- Leonard Lyell, 1st Baron Lyell (1850–1926), Scottish Liberal politician and nephew of the geologist
- Charles Henry Lyell (1875–1918), Liberal MP, son of Leonard
- Charles Anthony Lyell, 2nd Baron Lyell (1913–1943), Victoria Cross recipient, son of Charles Henry
- Charles Lyell, 3rd Baron Lyell (1939–), Conservative member of the House of Lords, son of Charles Anthony
- Nicholas Lyell, Baron Lyell of Markyate (1938–2010), British Conservative politician at the centre of the Matrix Churchill affair
- Lyell Island, in Canada
- Lyell, New Zealand, a historic gold mining settlement
- Lyells, Virginia, a crossroads in Richmond County, Virginia
- A panorama of Victoria Crater, Mars, taken by the Opportunity Rover
Other articles related to "lyell":
... Lyell is the site of a historic gold mining town in the Buller Gorge in the South Island of New Zealand ... It lies on State Highway 6 the gold rush in lyell was in 1862 ...
... Lyell Land is a peninsula in East Greenland bounded by Kempe Fjord, King Oscar Fjord and Forsblad Fjord ... Nathorst on his 1899 expedition for Sir Charles Lyell ...
... For the glacier located on Mount Lyell in California, see Lyell Glacier Lyell Glacier (54°17′S 36°37′W / 54.283°S 36.617°W / -54.283 -36.617Coordinates 54°17′S 36°37′W / 54.28 ... who named it for Sir Charles Lyell (1797–1875), eminent British geologist ... with Bird Island base, and field camps at Schlieper Bay, Lyell Glacier and St ...
... It was the town supporting the North Mount Lyell mine ... When North Mount Lyell was taken over by Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company in 1903, Linda was quickly reduced in significance and eventually most ... Linda was the terminus of the North Mount Lyell Railway when it was in operation ...
... Lyell was born in 1875, the only son of Leonard Lyell, and was educated at Eton and New College, Oxford ... in 1911, and had one son, Charles Anthony Lyell and one daughter ... Lyell was elected to represent East Dorset in a 1904 by-election, and was appointed as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Sir Edward Grey, the Foreign Secretary, in 1906 ...