Landmarks in Buenos Aires - Other Buildings - Palacio Barolo

Palacio Barolo

Palacio Barolo is a 22-story office building located at 1370 Avenida de Mayo. The Italian architect Mario Palanti was commissioned to design the building by the empresario Luis Barolo, an Italian immigrant who had arrived in Argentina in 1890 and had made a fortune in knitted fabrics. The basic design, in Eclectic style, was conceived simultaneously with one for the Palacio Salvo in Montevideo, Uruguay. The Palacio Barolo was designed in accordance with the cosmology of Dante's Divine Comedy, motivated by the architect's admiration for Alighieri.

When completed in 1923 it was the tallest building, not only in the city, but also in the whole of South America. It remained the city's tallest building until 1935 when, on completion, the Kavanagh Building took over this title. The lighthouse at the top of the building can be seen all the way in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Read more about this topic:  Landmarks In Buenos Aires, Other Buildings

Other articles related to "palacio barolo":

Mario Palanti - Gallery
... Studio commemorazione Giuseppe Verdi, 1903 Palacio Barolo, Avenida de Mayo, Buenos Aires Palacio Barolo Palacio Barolo, Entrance Hall Hotel Castelar, Avenida de ...