More definitions of "dark":
- (adj): Lacking enlightenment or knowledge or culture.
Example: "The dark ages"; "a dark age in the history of education"
- (adj): Marked by difficulty of style or expression.
Example: "Much that was dark is now quite clear to me"
- (noun): The time after sunset and before sunrise while it is dark outside.
Synonyms: night, nighttime
- (adj): Secret.
Example: "Keep it dark"; "the dark mysteries of Africa and the fabled wonders of the East"
- (adj): (used of color) having a dark hue.
Example: "Dark green"; "dark glasses"; "dark colors like wine red or navy blue"
- (adj): Not giving performances; closed.
Example: "The theater is dark on Mondays"
- (noun): Absence of light or illumination.
- (adj): Stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable.
Example: "Darth Vader of the dark side"; "a dark purpose"; "dark undercurrents of ethnic hostility"
Synonyms: black, sinister
- (noun): An unenlightened state.
Example: "He was in the dark concerning their intentions"
- (adj): Causing dejection.
Example: "The dark days of the war"; "a dark gloomy day"
Synonyms: blue, depressing, disconsolate, dismal, dispiriting, gloomy, grim
- (adj): Showing a brooding ill humor.
Example: "A dark scowl"
Synonyms: dour, glowering, glum, moody, morose, saturnine, sour, sullen
- (adj): Having skin rich in melanin pigments.
Example: "The dark races"; "dark-skinned peoples"
Synonyms: colored, coloured, dark-skinned
- (adj): Devoid or partially devoid of light or brightness; shadowed or black or somber-colored.
Example: "Sitting in a dark corner"; "a dark day"; "dark shadows"; "the theater is dark on Mondays"; "dark as the inside of a black cat"
Famous quotes containing the word dark:
“Hast ever ben in Omaha
Where rolls the dark Missouri down,
Where four strong horses scarce can draw
An empty wagon through the town?
Where sand is blown from every mound
To fill your eyes and ears and throat;
Where all the steamboats are aground,
And all the houses are afloat?...
If not, take heed to what I say,
Youll find it just as I have found it;
And if it lies upon your way
For Gods sake, reader, go around it!”
—For the State of Nebraska, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)
“Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.”
—George Lucas (b. 1944)
“On the green they watched their sons
Playing till too dark to see,
As their fathers watched them once,
As my father once watched me;”
—Edmund Blunden (18961974)