Constitution of Uruguay - Versions - Third Constitution (1934 - 1942)

1942)

The 1934 constitution abolished the colegiado and transferred its power to the president. Nevertheless, presidential powers remained somewhat limited. The executive power once again was exercised by a president who had to make decisions together with the ministers. The 1934 charter established the Council of Ministers (Consejo de Ministros) as the body in which these decisions were to be made. This council consisted of the president and the cabinet ministers. The constitution required the chief executive to appoint three of the nine cabinet ministers from among the members of the political party that received the second largest number of votes in the presidential election. The General Assembly, for its part, could issue votes of no confidence in cabinet ministers, with the approval of two-thirds of its members.

The constitution divided the Senate between the Blancos and the Colorados or, as political scientist Martin Weinstein has pointed out, between the Herrerist faction of the Blancos (named after Luis Alberto de Herrera) and the Terrist wing of the Colorados (named after Gabriel Terra; president, 1931–38). The party that garnered the second largest number of votes automatically received 50 percent of the Senate seats. In addition, the 1934 charter empowered the Supreme Court of Justice to rule on the constitutionality of the laws. This system, which lasted eighteen years, further limited the power of the president and his government.

Read more about this topic:  Constitution Of Uruguay, Versions, Third Constitution (1934

Other related articles:


... 1032nd Rifle Regiment 1034th Rifle Regiment 1036th Rifle Regiment 817th Artillery Regiment 331st Anti-Tank Battalion 586th Separate Engineer Battalion 414th Separate Anti-Aircraft Battery 350th Separate Reconnaissance Company 243rd Separate Supply Company 384th Separate Chemical Company 319th Separate Medical Battalion 420th Transport Company 27th Field Bakery 645th Divisions Veterinary Hospital 973rd Field Post Office 859th ПКГБ Training Rifle Battalion. ...

... The last major battles against the Allied forces, in which the Vichy French air force took part, took place during Operation Torch, launched on 8 November 1942 as the Allied invasion of North Africa ... Facing the U.S ...

... The Democratic Party was formed in 1942, during the Second World War by Major Norman Leith-Hay-Clark ... It was supportive of free enterprise but also called for limits on excessive individual incomes ...