- Baku, Azerbaijan
- Baku submitted a bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics and later submitted a bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics. Baku failed to become a candidate both times. Upon failing to become a candidate for the 2020 Games, it was stated that Baku would "come back again next time even stronger". The city was chosen to host the European Games in 2015 and had already hosted the 2012 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup and various other international competitions.
- Paris, France
- The French capital was unsuccessful in vying to be the host city for the 1992, 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games. The year 2024 will mark the 100th anniversary of the 1924 Summer Olympics held in Paris. The former French Minister of Sports, Jean-Francois Lamour, had made it clear that 2024 represents a choice objective for a Parisian bid. €35 million will be planned to build new sports venues around Paris in order to improve quality of the future Parisian bid. The city decided not to bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics on July 12, 2011, after Annecy's 2018 Winter Olympics bid was rejected, and claimed that Paris would bid for the 2024 summer edition instead.
- Berlin, Germany
- The mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit, has stated that Berlin is exploring a bid for the 2024 or 2028 Olympic Games. Berlin hosted the 1936 Summer Olympics and last bid for the 2000 Summer Olympics, but were eliminated in the second round with the Olympics ultimately awarded to Sydney, Australia.
- Rome, Italy
- The Associated Press reported on 11 November 2012 that Rome is gearing up for another attempt to bid for the 2024 Olympics. Rome's Mayor Gianni Alemanno was quoted that "they have to be ready in 2017 to again present a bid for the Olympics".
- Saint Petersburg or Kazan, Russia
- Saint Petersburg is weighing a bid to bring the 2024 Summer Games to Russia. Marat Bariev of the Olympic Committee added that the plans were still at an early stage and there were potential rival bidders within Russia: Kazan, building on its Universiade development. In October 2011, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak stated that Saint Petersburg "is up to the task of holding the Summer Games of 2024."
- Kiev, Ukraine
- Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Borys Kolesnikov stated that in the case that Ukraine successfully co-hosts the UEFA Euro 2012 with Poland, it may potentially place a bid for hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics. Kiev was one of the host cities of UEFA Euro 2012 and is the city where the final match was held. Ukraine is also interested in a bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Other articles related to "europe":
... Europe undergoes the Renaissance of the 12th century ... Christian humanism becomes a self-conscious philosophical tendency in Europe ... to spread outside the Church throughout Europe ...
... Europe Business Class replaced Europe Select on 27 March 2011 ... It is KLM's new premium product on shorter sectors ...
... Main article Culture of Europe The culture of Europe can be described as a series of overlapping cultures cultural mixes exist across the continent ... for several centuries the peoples of Europe based their self-identification on the remaining traces of the Roman culture and on concept of Christendom ...
... has maintained its status as key power in Western Europe because of its size, location, strong economy, membership in European organizations, strong military ... De Gaulle argued that the UK had extensive alliances outside Europe, especially with the United States, and was famously suspicious of its European neighbours ...
... The first of May is instead celebrated as International Workers' Day. ...
Famous quotes containing the word europe:
“The heritage of the American Revolution is forgotten, and the American government, for better and for worse, has entered into the heritage of Europe as though it were its patrimonyunaware, alas, of the fact that Europes declining power was preceded and accompanied by political bankruptcy, the bankruptcy of the nation-state and its concept of sovereignty.”
—Hannah Arendt (19061975)
“In Europe art has to a large degree taken the place of religion. In America it seems rather to be science.”
—Johan Huizinga (18721945)
“It is not unkind to say, from the standpoint of scenery alone, that if many, and indeed most, of our American national parks were to be set down on the continent of Europe thousands of Americans would journey all the way across the ocean in order to see their beauties.”
—Franklin D. Roosevelt (18821945)