Signs and Symptoms
Common symptoms of Turner syndrome include:
- Short stature
- Lymphedema (swelling) of the hands and feet
- Broad chest (shield chest) and widely spaced nipples
- Low hairline
- Low-set ears
- Reproductive sterility
- Rudimentary ovaries gonadal streak (underdeveloped gonadal structures that later become fibrosed)
- Amenorrhoea, or the absence of a menstrual period
- Increased weight, obesity
- Shield shaped thorax of heart
- Shortened metacarpal IV
- Small fingernails
- Characteristic facial features
- Webbed neck from cystic hygroma in infancy
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Bicuspid aortic valve
- Poor breast development
- Horseshoe kidney
- Visual impairments sclera, cornea, glaucoma, etc.
- Ear infections and hearing loss
- High waist-to-hip ratio (the hips are not much bigger than the waist)
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD (problems with concentration, memory, attention with hyperactivity seen mostly in childhood and adolescence)
- Nonverbal Learning Disability (problems with math, social skills and spatial relations)
Other features may include a small lower jaw (micrognathia), cubitus valgus (turned-in elbows), soft upturned nails, palmar crease, and drooping eyelids. Less common are pigmented moles, hearing loss, and a high-arch palate (narrow maxilla). Turner syndrome manifests itself differently in each female affected by the condition, and no two individuals will share the same features.
Read more about this topic: Turner Syndrome
Other articles related to "signs, signs and symptoms, sign":
... pentagrams, together with stars and other signs, are frequently found on amulets bearing the Jewish names of God, and used to guard against fever and other diseases. 31, 112) at Paris and London there are twenty-two signs side by side, and a circle with twelve signs, but neither a pentagram nor a hexagram ...
... As the nodules age, they become bluish purple, brownish, yellowish, and finally green, similar to the color changes that occur in a resolving bruise ... The nodules usually subside over a period of 2–6 weeks without ulceration or scarring ...
... For this reason, British road signs no longer use all capital letters ... a special font was designed for motorway signs ... See Road signs in the United Kingdom ...
... Anovulation is usually associated with specific symptoms ... However, it is important to note that they are not necessarily all displayed simultaneously ...
... Road signs in the United Kingdom conform broadly to European norms, though a number of signs are unique and direction signs omit European route numbers ... There is a vast range of signs in use on British roads, from directional sign posts, to signs warning of possible hazards ahead, and regulatory signs instructing ...
Famous quotes containing the words symptoms and/or signs:
“For anyone addicted to reading commonplace books ... finding a good new one is much like enduring a familiar recurrence of malaria, with fever, fits of shaking, strange dreams. Unlike a truly paludismic ordeal, however, the symptoms felt while savoring a collection of one mans pet quotations are voluptuously enjoyable ...”
—M.F.K. Fisher (19081992)
“The highway presents an interesting study of American roadside advertising. There are signs that turn like windmills; startling signs that resemble crashed airplanes; signs with glass lettering which blaze forth at night when automobile headlight beams strike them; flashing neon signs; signs painted with professional touch; signs crudely lettered and misspelled.... They extol the virtues of ice creams, shoe creams, cold creams;...”
—For the State of Florida, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)