Across the courtyard from the Forks Market is the four-storey Johnston Terminal building. Originally constructed in 1930, the terminal was a warehouse and freight-forwarding facility erected by Carter-Halls-Aldinger Company, and cost an estimated $134,700. After a substantial addition in 1930, the warehouse was at the time one of the largest in Winnipeg, containing over 9,300 square metres (100,000 sq ft) of usable space. It was occupied by National Storage and Cartage until 1961, and was leased to the Johnston National Cartage Company for the next 15 years. Vacated in 1977, the building was unoccupied until the redevelopment of the site into The Forks.
The building is now home to a variety of specialty boutiques and stores, offices, a café, Finn McCue's and The Old Spaghetti Factory. The basement of the building hosts the Johnston Terminal Antique Mall, which features over 30 consigners and 7,000 square feet (650 m2) of new merchandise brought in daily.
Read more about this topic: The Forks, Winnipeg
Famous quotes containing the word terminal:
“All sin tends to be addictive, and the terminal point of addiction is what is called damnation.”
—W.H. (Wystan Hugh)