Landmarks in Gaza include the Great Mosque in the Old City. Originally a pagan temple, it was consecrated a Greek Orthodox church by the Byzantines, then a mosque in the 8th century by the Arabs. The Crusaders transformed it into a church, but it was reestablished as a mosque soon after Gaza's reconquest by the Muslims. It is the oldest and largest in the Gaza Strip and was identified as the "only structure of historical importance" in the city by some 19th-century Western travelers.
Other mosques in the Old City include the Mamluk-era Sayed Hashem Mosque that believed to house the tomb of Hashem ibn Abd al-Manaf in its dome. There is also the nearby Welayat Mosque that dates back to 1334. In Shuja'iyya, the Ibn Uthman Mosque was built by Nablus native Ahmad ibn Uthman in 1402 and the Ibn Marwan Mosque, housing the tomb of a holy man, was built in 1324.
The Unknown Soldier's Square, located in Rimal, is a monument dedicated to an unknown Palestinian fighter who died in the 1948 War. In 1967, the monument was torn down by Israeli forces and remained a patch of sand, until a public garden was built there with funding from Norway. Qasr al-Basha, originally a Mamluk-era villa that was used by Napoleon during his brief sojourn in Gaza, is located in the Old City and is today a girl's school. The Commonwealth Gaza War Cemetery, often referred to as the British War Cemetery, that contains the graves of fallen Allied soldiers in World War I is 1.5 kilometres northeast of the city center in the Tuffah district near Salah al-Din Road.
Read more about this topic: Gaza
Other articles related to "landmarks, landmark":
... In addition to national parks, a National Landmarks program was foreseen in the 1970s and 1980s, but has not yet been established beyond a single property ... Landmarks were intended to protect specific natural features considered "outstanding, exceptional, unique, or rare to this country ... would typically be isolated entities and of scientific interest." To date, only one landmark has been established—Pingo National Landmark—in the ...
... A large Holstein cow named Antoinette is a local landmark ... Erected in 1977 during the city's centennial celebration, it stands 20 feet (6.1 m) high and weighs over 1,000 pounds (450 kg) ...
... The building was declared a landmark in 1965 by New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, and the building's block bounded by Pearl Street, Water Street, Broad Street and Coenties ...
Famous quotes containing the word landmarks:
“The lives of happy people are dense with their own doingscrowded, active, thick.... But the sorrowing are nomads, on a plain with few landmarks and no boundaries; sorrows horizons are vague and its demands are few.”
—Larry McMurtry (b. 1936)
“Of all the bewildering things about a new country, the absence of human landmarks is one of the most depressing and disheartening.”
—Willa Cather (18731947)