Franchise generally means a right or privilege. It may refer to:
- Suffrage, the civil right to vote
- Jurisdictions used to be treated as property rights, and could be referred to as franchises.
- Franchising, a business method that involves licensing of trademarks and methods of doing business, such as:
- Chain store, retail outlets which share a brand and central management
- An exclusive right, for example to sell branded merchandise
- Media franchise, ownership of the characters and setting of a film, video game, book, etc., particularly in North American usage
- Rail franchising in Great Britain
- A television franchise, a right to operate a television network.
- A cable franchise, a right to operate a cable television network.
- a clause used by insurance companies as a threshold for policy payments, as in deductible
- "Franchise" (short story), a 1955 short story by Isaac Asimov
- Dem Franchize Boyz, an American hip hop group from Atlanta
- Franchise Pictures, a film production company
- Franchise, a term for a team in the type of professional sports league organization most commonly found in North America; see North American professional sports league organization
- Franchise player, a player on such a team around whom an entire competitive squad can be built
- Franchise tag, a designation of a player in the US National Football League whose contract is soon to expire that binds him to the team for one year at an enhanced salary
- League franchise, a local or regional business franchising operation under a particular sporting league in activities such as pool, darts, etc.
Other articles related to "franchise, franchises":
... The menu primarily offers traditional Italian-American dishes, with an emphasis on pastas as well as classic entrees such as steak and chicken ... The interior design is styled after New York Italian eateries of the mid 20th century ...
... Prior to moving to Binghamton for 1992, the franchise played in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, from 1987 to 1991 as the Williamsport Bills ... The Bills franchise was actually two separate franchises ... owners moved the Bills to Hagerstown, Maryland, while the Eastern League franchise based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts moved back to Williamsport before the 1989 season ...
... government announced in March the shortlists for two franchises that were to be re-let, the Intercity West Coast franchise and the Greater Anglia franchise ... not among those shortlisted for the new franchise ... Virgin Trains was given a nine month extension to its existing franchise taking it to the end of 2012 ...
... New franchises -- 'Greater Anglia' (Abellio Greater Anglia) has started in 2012 ... The remaining franchises, Great Western, InterCity East Coast and Thameslink/Great Northern, are due to be re-let from 2013 onwards ... Due to the franchise bidding issues surrounding the 'InterCity West Coast' franchise will have to be retendered ...
Famous quotes containing the word franchise:
“Many famous feet have trod
Sublunary paths, and famous hands have weighed
The strength they have against the strength they need;
And famous lips interrogated God
Concerning franchise in eternity....”
—Philip Larkin (19221986)
“To-day women constitute the only class of sane people excluded from the franchise ...”
—Mary Putnam Jacobi (18421906)
“...feminism differs from reform of any kind, even franchise reform. Feminists, I should say, are not reformers at all, but rather intellectual biologists and psychologists.”
—Rheta Childe Dorr (18661948)