The sewage treatment process takes place in stages:
- Primary Treatment (completed in 1949): Sewage is held in sedimentation tanks where the sludge is removed and processed for use as fertilizer.
- Secondary Treatment (completed in 1957): Primary effluent is pumped into oxidation ponds (here bacteria break down the waste).
- Disinfection (completed in 1966): Secondary effluent is chlorinated to kill pathogens and dechlorinated to avoid damage to natural environments.
- Tertiary Treatment (competed in 1986): Disinfected secondary effluent is put into artificial marshes where it is cleansed by reeds, cattails, and bacteria.
- Disinfection: Tertiary effluent is chlorinated to kill pathogens from bird droppings and dechlorinated to avoid damage to natural environments.
Read more about this topic: Arcata Wastewater Treatment Plant And Wildlife Sanctuary
Other articles related to "sewage treatment, treatment, sewage":
... bulk of domestic and industrial wastewater is discharged without any treatment or after primary treatment only ... In Latin America about 15% of collected wastewater passes through treatment plants (with varying levels of actual treatment) ... a below average country in South America with respect to wastewater treatment, 97 percent of the country’s sewage is discharged raw into the ...
... drugs in local surface waters higher than those found in the blood of patients under treatment ... by excretion from patients undergoing pharma treatment ... Fate of pharmaceuticals in the sewage treatment plant Sewage treatment plants may offer a variety of techniques for diminishing the amount and harmful activity of its biological ...
... For two and a half centuries prior to this project, raw sewage was discharged untreated directly into Halifax Harbour ... the recipient of approximately 200 million litres of untreated raw sewage every day, enough to fill 25 Olympic-size swimming pools ... and Dartmouth were built with no thought to sewage treatment as a means of waste disposal ...
... Concorde-Corodex has membrane bioreactor sewage treatment plants on both the Palm Jumeirah and in Dubai International City ... operates and maintains a 2,000 m³ per day sequencing batch reactor sewage treatment plant that treats sewage collected from the Sky Courts complex ...
Famous quotes containing the word treatment:
“Ambivalence reaches the level of schizophrenia in our treatment of violence among the young. Parents do not encourage violence, but neither do they take up arms against the industries which encourage it. Parents hide their eyes from the books and comics, slasher films, videos and lyrics which form the texture of an adolescent culture. While all successful societies have inhibited instinct, ours encourages it. Or at least we profess ourselves powerless to interfere with it.”
—C. John Sommerville (20th century)