More definitions of "solitary":
- (adj): Enjoyed or performed alone.
Example: "Took a solitary walk"; "enjoyed her solitary dinner"; "solitary pursuits such as reading"
- (adj): Characterized by or preferring solitude in mode of life.
Example: "A man of a solitary disposition"
Synonyms: eremitic, eremitical, lone
- (noun): Confinement of a prisoner in isolation from other prisoners.
Example: "He was held in solitary"
Synonyms: solitary confinement
- (adj): Being the only one; single and isolated from others.
Example: "A solitary instance of cowardice"; "a solitary speck in the sky"
Synonyms: lone, lonesome, only, sole
- (adj): Of plants and animals; not growing or living in groups or colonies.
Example: "Solitary bees"
Synonyms: nongregarious, nonsocial
Famous quotes containing the word solitary:
“I love all waste
And solitary places; where we taste
The pleasure of believing what we see
Is boundless, as we wish our souls to be.”
—Percy Bysshe Shelley (17921822)
“The hunchback in the park
A solitary mister
Propped between trees and water.”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)
“Those lovers, purified by tragedy,
Hurry into each others arms; these eyes,
By water, herb and solitary prayer
Made aquiline, are open to that light.
Though somewhat broken by the leaves, that light
Lies in a circle on the grass.”
—William Butler Yeats (18651939)