More definitions of "meet":
- (verb): Get to know; get acquainted with.
Example: "I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night!"; "we met in Singapore"
- (noun): A meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held.
Synonyms: sports meeting
- (verb): Undergo or suffer.
Example: "Meet a violent death"
- (verb): Meet by design; be present at the arrival of.
Example: "Can you meet me at the train station?"
- (verb): Be adjacent or come together.
- (verb): Get together socially or for a specific purpose.
Synonyms: get together
- (verb): Satisfy a condition or restriction.
Example: "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
Synonyms: fit, conform to
- (adj): Being precisely fitting and right.
Example: "It is only meet that she should be seated first"
Famous quotes containing the word meet:
“We were observing once to Mr. [Samuel] Crisp that the good and the agreeable were seldom unitedAy begad, cried he, tis rare enough to meet with the one or the other.”
—Frances Burney (17521840)
“Ill meet the raging of the skies,
But not an angry father.”
—Thomas Campbell (17741844)
“No law can possibly meet the convenience of every one: we must be satisfied if it be beneficial on the whole and to the majority.”
—Titus Livius (Livy)