Lessing - German family of writers and artists
- Johann Gottfried Lessing (1693-1770) pastor primarus in Kamenz, well respected, published theologian, translator and father of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781) and Karl Gotthelf Lessing (1740–1812). Johann Gottfried's father Theophilus Lessing 1647-1735 mayor of Kamenz Robert Schumann's (the composer and pianist 1810-1856) four times great uncle, Johanne Sophie Susanna Lessing (1745-1818 daughter of Carl Heinrich Lessing 1713, a trumpeter) his grandmother.
- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781), one of the most prominent philosophers of the Enlightenment era, recognised as the world's first dramaturg, Germany's first dramatist and comedy playwright, champion for religious tolerance, friend of Moses Mendelssohn, critic for the Vossische Zeitung, translator and Shakespearean scholar. Today his own works appear as prototypes of the later developed bourgeois German drama. Scholars generally see Miß Sara Sampson and Emilia Galotti as the first bourgeois tragedies, Minna von Barnhelm (Minna of Barnhelm) as the model for many classic German comedies, Nathan the Wise (Nathan der Weise) as the first German drama of ideas ("Ideendrama") and his theoretical writings Laocoon and Hamburg Dramaturgy (Hamburgische Dramaturgie) set the standards for the discussion of aesthetic and literary theoretical principles
- Karl Gotthelf Lessing (1740-1812), Gotthold Ephraim Lessing's (1729–1781), younger brother and his first biographer, comedy playwright, translator, mint director and owner through marriage to Marie Friederike Voss of the Vossische Zeitung.
- Carl Friedrich Lessing ( 1778–1848), son of Karl Gotthelf Lessing (1740–1812) chancellor
- Karl Friedrich Lessing (1808–1880), German painter, son of Carl Friedrich Lessing (1778–1848) and great nephew of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781)
- Dr Christian Friedrich Lessing ( 1809–1862)physician, botanist, writer, son of Carl Friedrich Lessing (1778–1848) and great nephew of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781)
- Carl Louis Gotthold Ludwig Lessing (1817-1897), modelmaker/designer, wine grower and lecturer,son of Carl Friedrich Lessing (1778–1848) and great nephew of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781)
- Franziska Fanny Maria Lessing (1818–1901), daughter of Carl Friedrich Lessing and great niece of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781) married to German painter Emil Ebers 1807- 1884.
- Carl Robert Lessing (1827-1895) publicist, owner of the Vossische Zeitung and Schloss Meseberg, son of Carl Friedrich Lessing (1778–1848) and great nephew of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781)
- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1861-1919), son of Carl Robert Lessing (1827–1895)landowner and liberal politician.
- Otto Lessing (sculptor) (1846–1912), German sculptor,photographer and writer, gifted pianist, son of Karl Friedrich Lessing (1808–1880)married to Sigrid Gude daughter of Norwegian painter Hans Gude.
- Bertha Lessing (1844–1914) daughter of Karl Friedrich Lessing (1808–1880), married to royal court actor and dramatist Karl Koberstein.
- Konrad Lessing (1852–1916) landscape painter, son of Karl Friedrich Lessing (1808–1880).
- Heinrich Lessing (1856-1930) painter, son of Karl Friedrich Lessing (1808–1880).
- Kolja Lessing (1961) five times great nephew of Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781)German pianist, violinist, composer and music professor at the Stuttgart Musik Hochschule .
Lessing is also the surname of:
- Doris (May) Lessing (born 1919), British novelist and the 2007 Nobel Prize laureate in literature married to Gottfried Lessing (1914–1979)
- Gottfried Lessing (1914–1979), German diplomat
- Feodor (Franz Theodor) Yulievich Levinson-Lessing, Russian geologist
- Erich Lessing, magnum photographer
- Lawrence Lessing, US journalist
- Lawrence Lessig, American academic and political activist
- Simon Lessing (born 1971), British athlete
- Theodor Lessing (1872–1933), German-Jewish philosopher
|This page or section lists people with the surname Lessing. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
Other articles related to "lessing":
... Lessing Field is a multi-purpose lacrosse and soccer stadium on the campus of Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut ... Lessing Field is named in honor of Stephen Lessing '76, a former member of the Fairfield Stags men's tennis team and current member of the Fairfield University Board of Trustees whose generosity allowed for the stadium ...
... science fiction novels by Nobel Prize in Literature-winning author Doris Lessing which portray a number of societies at different stages of development, over a great period of time ... When Lessing began writing Shikasta she intended it to be a "single self-contained book" ... Shikasta and The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four and Five, prompted Lessing to write in the Preface to the third book, The Sirian Experiments The Canopus in Argos series as a whole falls into ...
... Christian Friedrich Lessing (August 10, 1809 - 1862) was a German botanist who was a native of Groß Wartenberg, Niederschlesien ... was a brother to painter Carl Friedrich Lessing (1808-1880), and a grandnephew of poet Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729-1781) ... Lessing was a botanical authority on the plant family Asteraceae, and in 1832 published an influential treatise on Asteraceae called Synopsis generum Compositarum ...
... August Messer, Der Fall Lessing, eine objektive Darstellung und kritische Würdigung, Bielefeld 1926 Ekkehard Hieronimus, Theodor Lessing, Otto Meyerhof ... für Politische Bildung, Hannover 1964 Lawrence Baron, Theodor Lessing Between Jewish Self-Hatred and Zionism, in Year Book XXVI Leo Baeck Inst ... Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1986 Rainer Marwedel Theodor Lessing 1872-1933 ...
Famous quotes containing the word lessing:
“You know, whenever women make imaginary female kingdoms in literature, they are always very permissive, to use the jargon word, and easy and generous and self-indulgent, like the relationships between women when there are no men around. They make each other presents, and they have little feasts, and nobody punishes anyone else. This is the female way of going along when there are no men about or when men are not in the ascendant.”
—Doris Lessing (b. 1919)
“We use our parents like recurring dreams, to be entered into when needed.”
—Doris Lessing (b. 1919)
“You cant be a Red if youre married to a civil servant.”
—Doris Lessing (b. 1919)