Dover Priory

The Priory of St. Mary the Virgin and St. Martin of the New Work, or Newark, commonly called Dover Priory, was a priory at Dover in southeast England. It was variously independent in rule, then occupied by canons regular of the Augustinian rule, then finally monks of the Benedictine rule as a cell of Christchurch Monastery, Canterbury.

The priory was located just east of what is now Dover Priory railway station, in fact the railway was built on the western part of the site. Housing has been built on the eastern part of the site where the church once stood, between Priory Road and the later Effingham Street in the area of Norman Street and Saxon Street. Dover College, a private boarding school, occupies the land between the station and Effingham Street and has rescued some of the medieval buildings for use by its pupils. The 12th century Strangers' Refectory on Effingham Street retains its function and is also used for concerts; the gateway to the priory is now a music school and the priory guesthouse has been consecrated as the school chapel.

Other articles related to "dover priory, dover, priory":

Dover Priory - History - Dover College
... See also Dover College#Foundation In 1869 Robert Chignell, who had a private school at Westmount, in Folkestone Road, leased part of the Priory buildings for a private school ... He passed on his interest, however, to a group of leading citizens in Dover who had formed the Dover College Company to promote the foundation of a public school on what remained of the Priory site with the dual ... Dover College opened modestly in 1871 ...
Shoreham Railway Station - Service
... Westgate-on-Sea Margate Broadstairs Dumpton Park Ramsgate London Victoria to Dover via Chatham Swanley Farningham Road Longfield Meopham Sole Street Rochester Chatham Gillingham Rainham Newington ...
List Of Railway Stations In Dover - Current Station
... Opened in 22 July 1861 as Dover Town (Priory) by the LCDR, Dover Priory railway station became a through station on 1 November the same year, upon completion of a tunnel though the Western Heights ... The renaming in July 1863 as Dover Priory led rival SER to adopt the name "Dover Town" for one of its Dover stations ... Dover Priory is the only station still open in Dover ...
Rolvenden Railway Station - Locomotives in Residence
... Broadstairs Dumpton Park Ramsgate London Victoria to Dover via Chatham Swanley Farningham Road Longfield Meopham Sole Street Rochester Chatham Gillingham Rainham Newington Sittingbourne ...
Folkestone Central Railway Station - Services
... per hour) to London St Pancras 2tph to London Charing Cross, which run via Sevenoaks 3tph to Dover Priory of which one continues to Ramsgate Preceding station National Rail Following station ...

Famous quotes containing the word priory:

    Blessing turned to blasphemies,
    Holy deeds to despites.

    Sin is where our Lady sat,
    Heaven turned is to hell,
    Sathan sits where our Lord did sway,
    Walsingham, Oh farewell!
    —Unknown. A Lament for the Priory of Walsingham (l. 39–44)