Yucatecan food is its own unique style and is very different from what most people would consider Mexican food. It includes influences from the local Mayan culture, as well as Caribbean, European (Spanish), (North) African, and Middle Eastern cultures, as well as influence from the cuisine of other parts of Mexico.
There are many regional dishes. Some of them are:
- Poc Chuc, a Mayan/Yucatecan version of barbecued pork.
- Salbutes and Panuchos. Salbutes are soft, cooked tortillas with lettuce, tomato, turkey, and avocado on top. Panuchos feature fried tortillas filled with black beans and topped with turkey or chicken, lettuce, avocado and pickled onions. Habanero chiles accompany most dishes, either in solid or puréed form, along with fresh limes and corn tortillas.
- Queso Relleno is a "gourmet" dish featuring ground pork inside of a carved Edam cheese ball served with tomato sauce and gravy.
- Pavo en Relleno Negro is turkey meat stew cooked with a black paste made from roasted chiles, a local version of the mole de guajalote found throughout Mexico. The meat soaked in the black soup is also served in tacos, sandwiches and even in panuchos or salbutes.
- Sopa de Lima A turkey, lime, and tortilla soup.
- Papadzules. Egg tacos covered in pumpkin seed sauce and tomatoes.
- Cochinita Pibil is a marinated pork dish and by far the most renowned of Yucatecan food.
- Xcatik, a type of chili.
- Pavo en Relleno Blanco is a turkey stew almost like Pavo en Relleno Negro.
Read more about this topic: Yucatán
Other articles related to "food, foods":
... Fast food is the term given to food that can be prepared and served very quickly ... While any meal with low preparation time can be considered to be fast food, typically the term refers to food sold in a restaurant or store with preheated or ... The term "fast food" was recognized in a dictionary by Merriam–Webster in 1951 ...
... Baking is a food cooking method using prolonged dry heat acting by convection, and not by thermal radiation, normally in an oven, but also in hot ashes, or on hot stones ... When the desired temperature is reached within the heating instrument, the food is placed inside and baked for a certain amount of time ... and pasta dishes such as lasagna, and various other foods, such as the pretzel ...
... Comfort food Fast food Junk food Natural food Organic food Slow food Whole food ...
... The house-elves at Hogwarts amongst other duties provide all food to students and staff ... At meal times the food is magically transported up, giving the façade of appearing for the students ... The majority of the food prepared are traditional British dishes ...
... In industrial and food applications, radiation is used for sterilization of tools and equipment ... An emerging use in food production is the sterilization of food using food irradiation ... Food irradiation is the process of exposing food to ionizing radiation in order to destroy microorganisms, bacteria, viruses, or insects that might be present in the food ...
Famous quotes containing the word food:
“The urge for Chinese food is always unpredictable: famous for no occasion, standard fare for no holiday, and the constant as to demand is either whim, the needy plebiscite of instantly famished drunks, or pregnancy.”
—Alexander Theroux (b. 1940)
“Arguably the only goods people need these days are food and nappies.”
—Terence, Sir Conran (b. 1931)
“One farmer says to me, You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with; and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying his system with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)