Woolstone, Milton Keynes
Great Woolstone and Little Woolstone are two historic villages in modern Milton Keynes, ceremonial Buckinghamshire now called jointly Woolstone or The Woolstones and forming the heart of a new district of that name.
The name 'Woolstone' is an Old English language word, and means 'Wulfsige's farm'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the area was recorded as Wlsiestone.
Until shortly after the turn of the 19th century, the villages were named Woolstone Magna (Great Woolstone) and Woolstone Parva (Little Woolstone). The area is now collectively known simply as "Woolstone" or "The Woolstones" and it forms part of the Campbell Park Civil Parish of Milton Keynes and comes under the control of Campbell Park Parish Council. The land between the two villages is now occupied by the village cricket green. Detail from genealogical records can be found on the UK and Ireland Genealogy site.
They are both linear villages, being hemmed in by and along the north-south line of both the River Ouzel (to the east of the villages) and of the Grand Union Canal to the west. They form part of a chain of three villages along this line, the next about a mile further south being Woughton-on-the-Green.
Today, Great Woolstone still has its own village pub, the thatched roof "Cross Keys", which can trace its history back to 1560. Little Woolstone is the larger of the two Woolstones, having benefited from the building of the canal. Its village pub, "The Barge Inn", dates from this time,being opened to meet the needs of the canal labourers, but is now mainly a restaurant. . The Church of England Church in Little Woolstone is still open and serves both villages, whilst the church in Great Woolstone closed in the 1970s and has served various purposes since then including being used as a music rehearsal room.
Famous quotes containing the word milton:
“And, re-assembling our afflicted powers,
Consult how we may henceforth most offend.”
—John Milton (16081674)