Whitefish Bay National Guard Armory - Village Purchase

Village Purchase

After the Village of Whitefish Bay bought the property in 1995 for $475,000, a number of public hearings were held on how the building should be used. Many suggestions were submitted including condos,a hockey rink, a swimming pool and a community center/multi-use building. All were rejected by the village board with no in-depth consideration. In January 1998, the decision was made to raze the building, its garages and a small farmhouse for use as a park. In 1999, area resident Janice Collins began a crusade to save the farmhouse, one of the oldest buildings in the village. Soon after that, another resident, Janet Melamed, organized an effort, Save The Armory Trust, Inc, to save the larger building. Several of those who spoke before a village board meeting advocated renovating the armory for use by the library. This idea eventually was also not accepted.

However, the armory garages were fortunately available to be converted into a necessary temporary village library, while a new building was constructed. When the new building was completed, the armory was once again abandoned except for two rummage sales and an exhibit of school art work sponsored by STAT. The building was finally demolished in 2004. The site is now known as Armory Park.

Read more about this topic:  Whitefish Bay National Guard Armory

Famous quotes containing the words purchase and/or village:

    O, let us have him, for his silver hairs
    Will purchase us a good opinion,
    And buy men’s voices to commend our deeds.
    William Shakespeare (1564–1616)

    Under a spreading chestnut-tree
    The village smithy stands;
    The smith, a mighty man is he,
    With large and sinewy hands;
    And the muscles of his brawny arms
    Are strong as iron bands.
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1809–1882)