Some articles on stone:
... Zero Mile Stone Marathi शून्य मैलाचा दगड is a monument locating the geographical center of India in the city of Nagpur, Maharashtra.The Zero Mile Stone ...
... In 2008, Hamilton's book, The Taking of the Stone of Destiny, was made into a movie entitled Stone of Destiny ... as the protagonist leading a team of students to reclaim the Stone of Scone ...
... Gatehouse is constructed in brick with ashlar dressings and a stone slate roof, in two storeys and three bays ... A table tomb over the grave consists of an inscribed stone slab on a brick plinth ... Adjacent to it is another inscribed stone slab, dating from the 19th century ...
... Stone Temple Pilots developed a fan base in San Diego clubs in order to steer clear of the Los Angeles corporate music scene and build up their technique and following in the clubs ... In 1992, Stone Temple Pilots signed with Atlantic Records ... Despite hostile reviews from critics, Stone Temple Pilots continued to gain fans ...
... Isidor Feinstein Stone (December 24, 1907 – June 18, 1989 born Isidor Feinstein, better known as I ... Stone and Izzy Stone) was an American investigative journalist and author ... Stone's Weekly, which was ranked 16th in a poll of his fellow journalists of "The Top 100 Works of Journalism in the United States in the 20th Century" ...
More definitions of "Stone":
- (verb): Kill by throwing stones at.
- (verb): Remove the pits from.
- (noun): Material consisting of the aggregate of minerals like those making up the Earth's crust.
Example: "Stone is abundant in New England and there are many quarries"
- (noun): The hard inner (usually woody) layer of the pericarp of some fruits (as peaches or plums or cherries or olives) that contains the seed.
Synonyms: pit, endocarp
- (adj): Of any of various dull tannish-gray colors.
- (noun): United States filmmaker (born in 1946).
Synonyms: Oliver Stone
- (noun): A lump or mass of hard consolidated mineral matter.
- (noun): United States architect (1902-1978).
Synonyms: Edward Durell Stone
- (noun): An avoirdupois unit used to measure the weight of a human body; equal to 14 pounds.
Example: "A heavy chap who must have weighed more than twenty stone"
- (noun): United States feminist and suffragist (1818-1893).
Synonyms: Lucy Stone
- (noun): Building material consisting of a piece of rock hewn in a definite shape for a special purpose.
Example: "He wanted a special stone to mark the site"
- (noun): United States journalist who advocated liberal causes (1907-1989).
Synonyms: I. F. Stone, Isidor Feinstein Stone
- (noun): United States jurist who served on the United States Supreme Court as Chief Justice (1872-1946).
Synonyms: Harlan Fiske Stone
Famous quotes containing the word stone:
“Let the space under the first storey be dark, let the water
lap the stone posts, and vivid green slime glimmer
upon them; let a boat be kept there.”
—Denise Levertov (b. 1923)
“Two wooden tubs of blue hydrangeas stand at the foot of the stone steps.
The sky is a blue gum streaked with rose. The trees are black.
The grackles crack their throats of bone in the smooth air.
Moisture and heat have swollen the garden into a slum of bloom.
Pardie! Summer is like a fat beast, sleepy in mildew....”
—Wallace Stevens (18791955)
“You may talk about Free Love, if you please, but we are to have the right to vote. To-day we are fined, imprisoned, and hanged, without a jury trial by our peers. You shall not cheat us by getting us off to talk about something else. When we get the suffrage, then you may taunt us with anything you please, and we will then talk about it as long as you please.”
—Lucy Stone (18181893)