More definitions of "opposite":
- (noun): Two words that express opposing concepts.
Example: "To him the opposite of gay was depressed"
Synonyms: antonym, opposite word
- (adj): Moving or facing away from each other.
Example: "Looking in opposite directions"; "they went in opposite directions"
- (adj): Characterized by opposite extremes; completely opposed.
Example: "Opposite meanings"
Synonyms: diametric, diametrical, polar
- (adj): The other one of a complementary pair.
Example: "The opposite sex"; "the two chess kings are set up on squares of opposite colors"
- (adj): Altogether different in nature or quality or significance.
Example: "The medicine's effect was opposite to that intended"; "it is said that opposite characters make a union happiest"- Charles Reade
- (adj): Being directly across from each other; facing.
Example: "And I on the opposite shore will be, ready to ride and spread the alarm"- Longfellow; "we lived on opposite sides of the street"; "at opposite poles"
- (adv): Directly facing each other.
Example: "They sat opposite at the table"
- (noun): Something inverted in sequence or character or effect.
Main Site Subjects