What is leonis adobe?

Leonis Adobe

Leonis Adobe, built in 1844, is one of the oldest surviving private residences in Los Angeles County and one of the oldest surviving buildings in the San Fernando Valley. Located in what is now Calabasas, California, the adobe was occupied by the wealthy rancher, Miguel Leonis, until his death in 1889. Following Leonis' death, the property was the subject of a legal dispute between his common law wife, heirs, and a daughter born out of wedlock; the dispute lasted more than 15 years in the courts. In 1961, the adobe had fallen victim to vandalism, and its owner applied for a permit to raze the structure and erect a supermarket in its place. Preservationists succeeded in having the adobe declared a Historic-Cultural Landmark (the first structure in Los Angeles receiving the designation) in 1962. Leonis Adobe is also known as one of the most haunted sites in Los Angeles County, and it was profiled in the British paranormal television series "Most Haunted" in 2005. The adobe was restored and is operated as a living museum. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

Read more about Leonis Adobe.

Some articles on leonis adobe:

List Of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments In The San Fernando Valley - Overview of The Valley's Historic-Cultural Monuments
... formed in 1962, its first-designated sites were HCM #1 (Leonis Adobe) and HCM #2 (Bolton Hall), both located in the San Fernando/Crescenta Valleys ... In addition to the structures at the Mission, two adobe structures, Rómulo Pico Adobe built in 1834 and Leonis Adobe built in the 1840s, rank among the oldest in the Valley ... They are Leonis Adobe, Bolton Hall, Rómulo Pico Adobe, the Convento Building at the Mission San Fernando, Campo de Cahuenga, Minnie Hill Palmer House ...
Leonis Adobe Museum - Plummer House
160 In 1983, the Plummer House was moved to the grounds of the Leonis Adobe Museum ... The Leonis Adobe Association in conjunction with the Los Angeles Conservancy arranged with the County to move the front part of the Plummer House to ... House has been restored and is currently used as the visitor center and gift shop for the Leonis Adobe Museum ...