The Priory of St. Mary the Virgin and St. Martin of the New Work, or Newark, commonly called Dover Priory, was a priory at Dover in southeast England. It was variously independent in rule, then occupied by canons regular of the Augustinian rule, then finally monks of the Benedictine rule as a cell of Christchurch Monastery, Canterbury.
Read more about Dover Priory.
Some articles on dover priory:
... to London Charing Cross, which run via Sevenoaks 3tph to Dover Priory of which one continues to Ramsgate Preceding station National Rail Following station ...
... Dumpton Park Ramsgate London Victoria to Dover via Chatham Swanley Farningham Road Longfield Meopham Sole Street Rochester Chatham Gillingham Rainham Newington Sittingbourne Teynham Faversham Selling Canterbury ...
... See also Dover College#Foundation In 1869 Robert Chignell, who had a private school at Westmount, in Folkestone Road, leased part of the Priory buildings for a private school ... on his interest, however, to a group of leading citizens in Dover who had formed the Dover College Company to promote the foundation of a public school on what remained of the Priory site with the ... Dover College opened modestly in 1871 ...
... Broadstairs Dumpton Park Ramsgate London Victoria to Dover via Chatham Swanley Farningham Road Longfield Meopham Sole Street Rochester Chatham Gillingham Rainham Newington Sittingbourne Teynham Faversham Selling ...
... Opened in 22 July 1861 as Dover Town (Priory) by the LCDR, Dover Priory railway station became a through station on 1 November the same year, upon completion of a tunnel though the Western Heights ... The renaming in July 1863 as Dover Priory led rival SER to adopt the name "Dover Town" for one of its Dover stations ... Dover Priory is the only station still open in Dover ...
Famous quotes containing the word priory:
“Blessing turned to blasphemies,
Holy deeds to despites.
Sin is where our Lady sat,
Heaven turned is to hell,
Sathan sits where our Lord did sway,
Walsingham, Oh farewell!”
—Unknown. A Lament for the Priory of Walsingham (l. 3944)