More definitions of "around":
- (adv): By a circular or circuitous route.
Example: "He came all the way around the base"; "the road goes around the pond"
- (adv): In the area or vicinity.
Example: "Hanging around"; "waited around for the next flight"
- (adv): To a particular destination either specified or understood.
Example: "She came around to see me"; "I invited them around for supper"
- (adv): In circumference.
Example: "The trunk is ten feet around"; "the pond is two miles around"
- (adv): (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct.
Example: "Weighs around a hundred pounds"
Synonyms: approximately, about, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, or so
- (adv): All around or on all sides.
Example: "Dirty clothes lying around (or about)"; "There were trees growing all around"; "she looked around her"
- (adv): In a circle or circular motion.
Example: "The wheels are spinning around"
- (adv): To or among many different places or in no particular direction.
Example: "News gets around (or about)"; "traveled around in Asia"; "he needs advice from someone who's been around"; "she sleeps around"
- (adv): In or to a reversed position or direction.
Example: "Suddenly she turned around"