Waldsassen

Waldsassen is a town in the district of Tirschenreuth bordering the Czech Republic in the Upper Palatinate, Bavaria.

As of June 2005, Waldsassen had a population of 7,483.

The town is famous for its Papal basilica, Stiftsbasilika Waldsassen, and the former Waldsassen Abbey, both in Baroque style. The latter contains the much visited Abbey library, whose wood carvings were completed by Karl Stipl in 1726. Four km north of the town, on Glasberg hill, is the Chapel of the Trinity (Dreifaltigkeitskirche Kappl), built in 1689, and a popular pilgrimage destination.

Notable personalities from the town include German footballer Dietmar Hamann.

Read more about Waldsassen:  History

Other articles related to "waldsassen":

Tirschenreuth - History
... the possessions of the Cistercian Abbey Waldsassen ... It received its town charter from Waldsassen's abbot Johann V ... Originally the Waldsassen Abbey and its possessions were immediately subordinate to the Holy Roman Empire ...
Waldsassen Abbey
... Waldsassen Abbey is a Cistercian nunnery, formerly a Cistercian monastery, located on the River Wondreb at Waldsassen near Tirschenreuth, Oberpfalz in Bavaria, Germany, close to ...
List Of Cistercian Monasteries - Europe - Germany
... Baden-Baden http//www.abtei-lichtenthal.de/ Waldsassen Abbey Nuns 1133 Waldsassen, Bavaria (near Czech-border) 1863 http//www.abtei-waldsassen.de/ ...
Waldershof - History
... certificate is part of the registry of deeds from the Waldsassen monastery and is currently preserved in the main city archives of Munich ... of the castle in Waldershof which he occupied to the monastery in Waldsassen ... In 1463, Abbot Nikolaus IV of Waldsassen granted the village of Waldershof market rights ...
Waldsassen - History
... A Cistercian abbey was founded at Waldsassen in 1133 by Diepold III, Margrave of Vohburg. ...