AvatarsMain article: Avatar See also: Dashavatara
Ten avatars (dashavatara) of Vishnu are the most prominent:
- Matsya, the fish that kills Damanaka to save the vedas and saves mankind.
- Kurma, the turtle that helps the Devas and Asuras churn the ocean for the nectar of immortality.
- Varaha, the boar that rescues the Earth and kills Hiranyaksha
- Narasimha, the half-lion half human, who defeats the demon Hiranyakashapu -nara(man), simha (lion).
- Vamana, the dwarf that grows into a giant to save the world from King Bali.
- Parashurama, "Rama of the battle axe", a sage who appeared in the Treta Yuga. He killed Kartavirya Arjuna's army and clan and then killed all the ksatriyas 21 times.
- Rama, Sri Ramachandra, the prince and king of Ayodhya who killed Demon King Raavana.
- Balarama, The elder brother of Krishna and considered the eighth avatar of Vishnu in puranic texts (also depicted in most ancient paintings / murals as shown on the painting on the right from the Victoria and Albert Museum. In some modern interpretations however Krishna is considered the eight avatar and the Buddha the ninth.
- Krishna, the ninth Avatar of Vishnu and associated with the Dwapara Yuga.
- Kalki, the tenth avatar of Vishnu and said to be the harbinger of the end of Kali Yuga. This is the only avatar of Vishnu that is yet to manifest itself.
Some versions of the above list include Hayagriva among the Dashavataras. Another 22 avatars are given in Chapter 3, Canto 1 of the Bhagavata Purana, although it states that "the incarnations of the Lord are innumerable, like rivulets flowing from inexhaustible sources of water".
Read more about this topic: Vishnu
Other articles related to "avatars, avatar":
... Avatars are a collection of data, less than 1 kB, describing character details such as clothing and facial features, propagated to Xbox.com ... These avatars can be as personalized as the player wants them to be, detailing all the way down to the size ... However, players can also create an avatar that does not represent them at all ...
... of Paige Matthews in season seven who among others (possibly the first) heralded the coming of The Avatars ... for their deaths, whom he believed murdered them because they had the potion that killed Avatars ... For the majority of his life, he believed those beings were the Avatars, an ancient supernatural race determined to end the battle between Good and Evil by imposing their own order on ...
... At the core, Avatars United is a social networking website that lets users connect their game avatars with each other ... Avatars can interact and share experiences by sending messages, blogging, discussing topics and uploading photos and videos ... Avatars are organized by the server they belong to, called "worlds" on the website ...
... Avatars can freely move around in locations known as "cities", and interact with scripted objects and other avatars ... Avatar Customization Custom clothing, hair, body shape, and skins can be applied ... Maximum numbers of concurrent avatars, rented land blocks, and shops depends on hosting price plan ...
... Avatars are an ancient group of magical beings who can bend the very fabric of time ... The Avatars tortured Leo Wyatt, with floating heads, to get him to join their collective ... Once Leo joins them, the Charmed Ones trust the Avatars strengthening the collective and helping the Avatars to create Utopia ...