Bishop of Hexham
The last Vicar Apostolic of the Northern District was Bishop William Hogarth, who on 30 September 1850 was assigned the title of bishop of Hexham. On the previous day, 29 September, Pope Pius IX had issued the Bull Universalis Ecclesiae, by which thirteen new dioceses were created, commonly known as the restoration of the English hierarchy, among them the diocese of Hexham, a new jurisdiction to replace formally the old Vicariate. In 1861 the diocese of Hexham was renamed the diocese of Hexham and Newcastle and its head took the title Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, which has remained until the present day.
Read more about this topic: Vicar Apostolic Of The Northern District (England)
Other articles related to "bishop of hexham, of hexham, bishop":
... Much of the Vicariate Apostolic of the Northern District of England became the Diocese of Hexham, and the Vicar Apostolic of the district became the Bishop of Hexham ... The Diocese of Hexham comprised Northumberland, County Durham, Cumberland and Westmorland ... St Mary's Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne should be the bishop's seat, and the Episcopal see should be renamed the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle ...
Famous quotes containing the word bishop:
“The waiting room
was full of grown-up people,
arctics and overcoats,
lamps and magazines.”
—Elizabeth Bishop (19111979)