- 1902 – Synthetic rubies created by the Verneuil process developed by Auguste Verneuil
- 1908 - Cellophane invented by Jacques E. Brandenberger
- 1909 – Bakelite hard thermosetting plastic presented by Leo Baekeland
- 1911 – Superconductivity discovered by Heike Kamerlingh Onnes
- 1912 – Stainless steel invented by Harry Brearley
- 1916 – Method for growing single crystals of metals invented by Jan Czochralski
- 1924 – Pyrex invented by scientists at Corning Incorporated, a glass with a very low coefficient of thermal expansion
- 1931 – synthetic rubber called neoprene developed by Julius Nieuwland (see also: E.K. Bolton, Wallace Carothers)
- 1931 – Nylon developed by Wallace Carothers
- 1938 – The process for making poly-tetrafluoroethylene, better known as Teflon discovered by Roy Plunkett
- 1939 – Dislocations in metals confirmed by Robert W. Cahn
- 1947 – First germanium point-contact transistor invented
- 1947 – First commercial application of a piezoelectric ceramic: barium titanate used as a phonograph pickup
- 1951 – Individual atoms seen for the first time using the field ion microscope
- 1953 – Metallic catalysts which greatly improve the strength of polyethylene polymers discovered by Karl Ziegler
- 1954 – Silicon solar cells with 6% efficiency made at Bell Laboratories
- 1954 – Argon oxygen decarburization (AOD) refining invented by scientists at the Union Carbide Corporation
- 1959 – Float glass process patented by the Pilkington Brothers
- 1962 – SQUID superconducting quantum interference device invented
- 1968 – Liquid crystal display developed by RCA
- 1970 – Silica optical fibers grown by Corning Incorporated
- 1980 – Duplex stainless steels developed which resist oxidation in chlorides
- 1985 - The first fullerene molecule discovered by scientists at Rice University (see also: Timeline of carbon nanotubes)
Other articles related to "20th century, century":
1.6 billion people in 1901 to 6.1 billion at the century's end ... driver of many of the problems of the 20th century was overpopulation ...
... January 8, 1902 – A train collision in the original Park Avenue tunnel kills 17 and injures 38 ... June 15, 1904 – The General Slocum, carrying 1300 to a picnic site on Long Island, catches fire while on the East River alongside Astoria, Queens ...
... The latter half of the 20th century saw the expansion of the city due to a combination of rural-urban migration and the consolidation of surrounding districts into the Trujillo metropolitan area ...
... In 1995, a Christian rock group, DC Talk, released an album titled Jesus Freak ... The song Jesus Freak from that album has since been covered by other Christian bands such as Chasing Victory and Newsboys, which features the former member of DC Talk Michael Tait ...
Famous quotes containing the word century:
“When her husband clutches at her dress,
she lowers her face,
her modesty aroused.
When he wants a wild embrace,
she shyly secrets away
She cant say a word
and bestows her gaze
on her beaming friends.
A new wife suffers
the first time she makes love.”
—Amaru (c. seventh century A.D.)