Some conspiracy theorists have suggested that the thirteenth floor in government buildings is not really missing, but actually contains top-secret governmental departments, or more generally that it is proof of something sinister or clandestine going on. This implication is often carried over, implicitly or explicitly, into popular culture; for example in:
- the films The Thirteenth Floor, Nightmare on the 13th Floor, and 1408
- the hidden research and development labs of Network 23 in the television program Max Headroom
- the top-secret research and development division of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the fifth book of the series, Mostly Harmless
- the computer game Floor 13 by Virgin Interactive
- the sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf where "floor 13" referred to a secret brig which was several decks high.
- the book Company by Max Barry
- the Superman story in Action Comics #448 (June 1975) featured a secret thirteenth floor used to teleport alien tourists from another planet to visit Earth.
- The "Night of Owls" storyline in Batman features the thirteenth floors of Gotham's buildings being used as bases by the assassins of a secret society that has ruled Gotham for generations.
- the level "The 13th Floor" in the computer game Tomb Raider: Chronicles
- the episode "Grey 17 Is Missing" of the TV series Babylon 5 has a similar theme of a "missing" floor number actually containing a hidden floor with dark secrets.
- The psychedelic rock band The 13th Floor Elevators
- The Rockford Files episode "Sticks and Stones May Break Your Bones, But Waterbury Will Bury You".
It is widely believed that Canary Wharf's One Canada Square houses a physical plant room on its level 13 but this is just another example of undeserved notoriety on the part of the 13th floor. One Canada Square's plant areas are in its basements (Levels B3 to M1) and above Level 50 (Level M2). The floor directly above level 12 is level 14.
Read more about this topic: Thirteenth Floor
Other articles related to "conspiracy theory, theory, conspiracy":
... An elaborate health scare, involving a hoax conspiracy theory disseminated on many Internet websites, attributes a host of deleterious medical effects to aspartame ... This theory claims that the FDA approval process of aspartame was tainted and cites as its source an email based upon a supposed talk by a "Nancy Markle" (who ... Martini says that there is a conspiracy between the FDA and the producers of aspartame, and her conspiracy theory (repeated by "Markle") has become a canonical example discussed on several Internet conspiracy ...
... Sally Partington claimed that her friend was "...in constant communication with Booth" long after his supposed 'death' on April 26, 1865, and that the letters proved that Booth had, indeed, escaped to Australia where he lived out the remainder of his life. ...
... of pamphlets titled Hey Man, where he interviews himself to discuss a conspiracy theory involving Eastman Kodak, Albertsons Inc ... In the book, Rocco discussed his conspiracy theory involving Eastman Kodak, Albertsons Inc ... According to Rocco's conspiracy theory, powerful companies and politicians are also responsible for his loss of work as a substitute teacher and telephone ...
... “ Conspiracy theories exist in the realm of myth, where imaginations run wild, fears trump facts, and evidence is ignored ... The Open Society and Its Enemies, Karl Popper used the term "conspiracy theory" to criticize the ideologies driving fascism, nazism, and Stalinism ... Popper argued that totalitarianism was founded on "conspiracy theories" which drew on imaginary plots driven by paranoid scenarios predicated on tribalism, chauvinism, or racism ...
... After the death of Gaitán, a conspiracy theory circulating among the left that leading conservatives and militant priests were involved in a plot with ... This conspiracy theory supplied the rationale for Liberal Party radicals to engage in violence, notably the anticlerical attacks and killings, particularly in the ... Some propaganda leaflets circulated in Medellín blamed a favorite of anti-Catholic conspiracy theorists, the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), for the murder of Gaitán ...
Famous quotes containing the words theory and/or conspiracy:
“It is not enough for theory to describe and analyse, it must itself be an event in the universe it describes. In order to do this theory must partake of and become the acceleration of this logic. It must tear itself from all referents and take pride only in the future. Theory must operate on time at the cost of a deliberate distortion of present reality.”
—Jean Baudrillard (b. 1929)
“I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”
—Stanley Kubrick (b. 1928)