Norton Removal Tool
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Website||Norton Removal Tool Homepage|
Norton AntiVirus has been criticized for refusing to uninstall completely, leaving unnecessary files behind. Another issue is versions prior to 2009 installed LiveUpdate, which updates Norton-branded software, separately. The user must uninstall both Norton AntiVirus and the LiveUpdate component manually. The LiveUpdate component is purposely left behind to update other Norton-branded products, if present. In response, Symantec developed the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) to remove leftover registry keys and values along with files and folders. However, neither route of uninstallation will remove subscription data, preserved to prevent users from installing multiple trial copies.
SymNRT can only remove these Norton programs:
- Norton AntiSpam 2004 and 2005
- Norton Antivirus 2003 through 2012
- Norton Ghost 2003,9.0,10.0,12.0,1 A.O and 15.0
- Norton GoBack 3.1 through 4.2
- Norton Internet Security 2003 through 2012
- Norton Password Manager
- Norton Personal Firewall 2003 through 2006
- Norton SystemWorks 2003 through 2009
- Norton Confidential Online 2007
- Norton Add-on Pack 1.0 - 4.0
- Norton Save and Restore 1.0 through 2.0
- Norton 360/Security Suite/Business Suite 1.0 - 5.0
- Norton Safety Minder 1.0
- Norton Safe Web 3.2
Once SymNRT has started the removal process, it cannot be stopped. It is recommended to close all running programs prior to running SymNRT. ACT! and WinFax users are recommended to back up their databases before running SymNRT.
Other articles related to "uninstallation":
... often integrate third-party components with no thought of their uninstallation ... to release new software versions with additional features leaves the uninstallation with a very small amount of attention and testing ... add-ons, spyware or not, that are intentionally left on the user's computer after uninstallation of the main program ...