St Ola is a parish in Mainland, Orkney. It is in the centre of the island, east of the parish Firth and north of Holm. It contains the capital and largest town of the Orkney archipelago, Kirkwall. Both Kirkwall (Old Norse: kirkjuvagr, church-bay) and St Ola may take their name from the church of St. Olaf, built about 1035 on the north bank of the Papdale Burn.
Highland Park, the second most northerly Scotch whisky distillery is on the outskirts of Kirkwall.
Several ships of the North of Scotland, Orkney & Shetland Steam Navigation Company (later P&O Scottish Ferries) were named St Ola.