It is not clear where the first clubhouse stood. There is some speculation that it was in Londontowne, Maryland, but sufficient doubt remains.
Built in 1742, on land purchased from Captain Thomas Gassaway, son of Colonel Nicholas Gassaway, the present structure is a small frame, 1 1⁄2-story one-room clubhouse with a gable roof and a narrow exterior chimney on the east gable end. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
Read more about this topic: South River Club