South Luffenham is a village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England.
The village lies largely on the north side of the A6121 road from Uppingham to Stamford. It is divided into two by a small stream, the Foss, which is a tributary of the River Chater. South Luffenham Hall stands a short distance to the south-east of St Mary's church.
The village has two pubs, the Boot and Shoe and the Coach House (previously the Halfway House), as well as the church and village hall. The post office closed in April 2006, but re-opened (Monday afternoons only) in May of that year in the village hall. There is a ruined windmill near the outskirts of the village.
It once had a railway station that was located to the north of the village and also served the neighbouring village of North Luffenham. Luffenham railway station was opened in 1848 and closed in 1966. In fact there were two railway stations in the parish, since Morcott station lay just within the South Luffenham parish boundary.
Read more about South Luffenham: History, Out and About, The Tunnels, The War, The Mills, The Common, The Rectors and Other Notable Residents, The Inns, Village Stories, The Railway, Inspired, The Great Fires
Other articles related to "south luffenham":
... Although plenty of water was at hand, the fire had too strong a hold and all that could be done was to douse the buildings nearby to prevent a spread ... Apart from a pig and a few fowls, there were no casualties, but damage amounted to £1,327 ...
Famous quotes containing the word south:
“During Prohibition days, when South Carolina was actively advertising the iodine content of its vegetables, the Hell Hole brand of liquid corn was notorious with its waggish slogan: Not a Goiter in a Gallon.”
—Administration in the State of Sout, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)