- "Smooth Operator" was the subject of a segment on Australian comedy variety show Micallef Tonight in 2003. The lyric "Coast to coast / L.A. to Chicago" was lampooned by Shaun Micallef for its geographical inaccuracy ("Good thing she's a smooth operator, not a tour operator").
- The song was used in the documentary about the rapstar Tupac Shakur in the movie Tupac: Resurrection.
- The song was parodied in an August 2009 issue of The Watermark, re-written as "Pool Operator" in order to humorously provide information about the 2009 Pool School class.
- "Smooth Operator" was lampooned by comedian Lenny Henry as 'Lathe Operator'.
- The comedy show Mystery Science Theater 3000 referenced "Smooth Operator" while riffing on the short film Why Study Industrial Arts?, during an episode of the sixth season. In response to the phrase "Tool operators", Mike and the Bots begin singing "tool operator" to the tune of "Smooth Operator".
- The song was also featured in the 2005 film Fun with Dick and Jane.
- The song was used also in the movie This Means War.
- The lyrics "Coast to Coast/L.A to Chicago" were ranked #1 by Spinner.com on their "20 Worst Lyrics Of All Time" List.
- The song was used in the BBC puppet sitcom Mongrels, in the episode Nelson The Stroke Virgin.
Read more about this topic: Smooth Operator
Other articles related to "trivia":
... For over a year his official website featured a difficult Beatles trivia quiz - devised by Deezen himself - with a $100 prize for anyone who could answer all the questions correctly ... As of May 2011, Deezen is a contributing writer for trivia magazine mental_floss, where most of his articles pertain to facts on The Beatles and their members ... As of July of 2012, he also writes for the trivia website TodayIFoundOut.com ...
... The Great Midwest Trivia Contest, or Midwest Trivia Contest, is held each year in Appleton, Wisconsin, broadcast over Lawrence University's radio station, WLFM ... It has a claim as the longest-running college bowl trivia contest ... Beginning with Trivia XLI in 2006, the contest went to a webcast-only format after WLFM ceased FM broadcasting ...
... Top 40, Kasem would often include trivia facts about songs he played and artists whose work he showcased ... Frequently, he would mention a trivia fact about an unnamed singer before a commercial break, and then provide the name of the singer after returning from the break ...
Famous quotes containing the word trivia:
“The most refined skills of color printing, the intricate techniques of wide-angle photography, provide us pictures of trivia bigger and more real than life. We forget that we see trivia and notice only that the reproduction is so good. Man fulfils his dream and by photographic magic produces a precise image of the Grand Canyon. The result is not that he adores nature or beauty the more. Instead he adores his cameraand himself.”
—Daniel J. Boorstin (b. 1914)
“Pop artists deal with the lowly trivia of possessions and equipment that the present generation is lugging along with it on its safari into the future.”
—J.G. (James Graham)