Before 1 June 1873, Sibu was known as "Maling", named after the winding portion, "Tanjung Maling", on the other side of Rejang River. Maling was a small village with a few small and simple shop houses consisted of atap roof and wooden walls and floors. Main population was Malay and Chinese was minority.
In 1841 "Sarawak" (the present Kuching - Sarawak Capital) was ruled by 'White Rajah', James Brooke. On 1 June 1873, the third division was created and the division was named after the native rambutan because of the fact that the division had a lot of native rambutan known as "Buah Sibau" in Iban language.
In 1901 Mr. Wong Nai Siong led the first batch of Foochows from China to Sibu to open up the fertile lands of Sibu for cultivation, a massive opening up of Sibu. Therefore, it was a landmark year or a milestone in the history of the development of Sibu.
Mr. Wong Nai Siong came to Singapore in September 1899. From there, he proceeded to West Malaysia, Sumatra and the Dutch East Indies. For six months he explored the places but failed to find a suitable place for the immigration and settlement of his folks in China. In April 1900, Mr. Wong Nai Siong came to Sarawak and got the approval of the Sarawak Rajah to look for a suitable site for Chinese immigrants.
Mr. Wong explored the lower valley and upper reaches of the Rejang River. He soon discovered that the Rejang Delta was very fertile and particularly suitable for cultivation. So he decided to choose the area for opening up for cultivation. With that decision, Mr. Wong went to see the second Rajah of Sarawak, Rajah Charles Brooke, for discussions regarding the matter of opening up of land for cultivation. In those days of the Rajahs, Sarawak was sparsely populated with vast land yet to be developed, Mr. Wong's plan was timely and very much appreciated.
So, when Mr. Wong Nai Siong went to see Sir Charles Brooke and explained to him his plan to lead large groups of Foochows to open up Sibu for cultivation, the Rajah immediately agreed. Both parties signed an agreement.
The Chinese immigrants came in three batches. The first batch consisted of 72 people, the second batch 535, and the third batch 511, totalling 1118 people. Of the total, 130 brought their spouses and families, while the others were bachelors. After working in Sibu, nearly all the immigrants chose to settle down and made Sibu their new home. They were happy to settle down for a brighter future in Sibu.
Notable businessman from Sibu:
- YBhg. Tan Sri Datuk Sir Tiong Hiew King
- Late Dato Sri Lau Hui Kang
- YBhg. Datuk Wong Kie Nai
- YBhg. Datuk Wong Kie Yik
- Late Datuk Seri Wong Tuong Kwang
- YBhg. Dato Sri Ding Jack Sung
- YBhg. Datuk Ding Lian Cheong
- YBhg. Datuk Hii Yii Peng
- Y.B. Datuk Tiong Thai King
- YBhg. Temenggong Dato Sri Tai Sing Chii
- YBhg. Datuk Henry Lau
- YBhg. Datuk Teng Chin Hua
- Late Tan Sri Datuk Ling Beng Siew
- Late Datuk Amar Ling Beng Siong
- YBhg. Datuk Ling Beng Sun
- Mr. Friday Stewart Nanta
- Mr. Chew Peng Cheng
- Mr. Chew Peng Hui
- Late Datuk Robert Lau Hoi Chiew
- YBhg. Datuk Toh Chiew Hock
- YBhg. Datuk Tiong Su Kuok
Read more about this topic: Sibu Division
Other articles related to "early history, history, early":
... The First Congregational Church of Middletown, established in 1785, has the highest spire downtown ... It can be argued that the construction of the church marks the beginning of Middletown's existence as a village ...
... Catlettsburg's history begins in the decades directly following the American Revolution ... Beginning in the late 19th century and lasting until the early 1920s, Catlettsburg was the largest hardwood timber market in the world due to its location at the mouth of the Big Sandy ... One known exception to history's hardwood harvest is the existence of a very large healthy Oak, standing on a knob in the Hampton City section ...
... Osh was known as early as the 8th century as a center for silk production along the Silk Road ...